Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vanity width for powder room

Posted by tinan (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 12, 13 at 20:08

We have a powder room in our condo which is being restored due to water damage from a neighboring unit. The bathroom is stripped to studs on one wall, flooring is out and the vanity had to be disposed of due to water damage.

I'm hoping to find something all-in-one to speed things up, our bathroom has been out of commission for over 2 months already. Also the cost will have to be approved by the HOA, so needs to be reasonable replacement cost.

The room is 52" wide and the existing vanity top was 51" wall to wall with side splashes, the flooring did not extend under the vanity, but as the flooring was removed as well, we will have it installed all the way to the wall this time to allow for different configurations.

It is very difficult to find an all-in-one vanity unit 51". There are 48" vanities which would leave an inch and a half of space on either side which would seem to look odd - the space between the cabinet and wall could be filled with trim but there would be I think too much space between the countertop and wall to cover with a sidesplash.

Of course we could go down to 36" and have more significant space on the sides so it would look purposeful, but possibly still odd?

The storage from a cabinet is very useful in this townhouse so a pedestal sink or open vanity would not be ideal, but maybe it would look better.

What do you think I should do here, any creative suggestions?

Our home was built in 1980 and originally "1980 contemporary mismash" but our style is more transitional/traditional and I'd prefer to avoid something too modern looking, but I also do not want fussy, curved, etc.

The flooring is a mid tone brown vinyl "wood" plank, and the walls are BM mascarpone.

This is what it looked like before the water damage:

This is a 48" vanity I like, see Costco link below.

I have also found "ready to assemble 48" vanity I like (also comes in 36"), which would require a separate countertop. Mocha Shaker Bathroom Vanities

These are 49" vanities, that means there would be exactly 1" on each side of the countertop, could that be covered or filled without looking strange? Foremost Gazette 49 in. Vanity in Espresso with Golden Hill Granite Top with Single Bowl

Foremost Ashburn 49 in. x 22 in. Vanity with Right Drawers in Mahogany with Granite Top in Beige

I could go with a much smaller vanity and have about 10" on both sides. This one is 30" wide and it is about as far towards contemporary as I would want to go White Porcelain Single Vanity

For a better fit I guess I" d="" have="" to="" buy="" a="" separate="" cabinet="" and="" custom="" top,="" which="" usually="" side="" splashes="" available="" help="" cover="" up="" the="" space?="" I am trying to get a contractor out to take a look but so far none of them were interested in this very small job.

Here is a link that might be useful: Costco Mission Hills

This post was edited by tinan on Fri, Oct 18, 13 at 12:52

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vanity width for powder room

Could you go with a smaller vanity and then a tall, somewhat slender linen closet on the side? They have them at the big box stores, although you'd have to play around with the widths of vanity and linen thing to get the space filled...

o

Code requires four inches between the edge of a sink or vanity top and the wall, if you are leaving any space. Obviously, you don't need a permit to replace a vanity cabinet, but there is a practical reason. Much smaller and it is difficult or impossible to retrieve things that fall between it and the wall, and it is difficult to clean.

My current bathroom has one with 1" at the countertop and slightly more for the cabinet and its awful. The floor in the back corner can't be reached.

o

To me it looks like all the links you provided show vanities that would not accommodate filler pieces. These vanities you've shown are stand alone pieces. They have detailed sides that would prevent fillers.

I like Gladys1924 idea very much. Here are a few houzz pictures, though these vanities may be too long for your space. You would have to draw it up to see if a tower would be functional and still have space for your work at the sink.

o

If you want a furniture style vanity, you need to use a 24" or 30" vanity. Otherwise, you need a traditional cabinet style vanity that you use a filler with and a custom top. The space isn't sized for standard sized components. You can get what you need from any cabinet shop.

o

I can't do a cabinet like that because the light fixture would be in the way it is centered and rectangular.

I don't want furniture style actually I prefer no space underneath I just don't seem to find anything else these days! If anyone had a good source for reasonably priced cabinets of the appropriate size I would love to know.

o

Like Hollysprings says try a cabinet shop, you might be surprised at what you find. My cabinet shop will do custom and do standard like sizing. The standard sizing, I believe, come in 3" width increments. 3 x 17" = 51", sounds to me like your vanity is a typical cabinet size (3" more than 48").

o

I live in a very expensive area, and I don't have a lot of time to shop in person so I am not sure if I can find and shop at a cabinet store... and then I'd need to buy a top separately and again the big box stores do not carry 51" tops, I can't do a custom granite top too expensive (even remnants with cutting etc too much).

I guess my best option is to either go with a 36" vanity stand alone furniture type, centered on the wall and have 8" space on both sides, or just do a pedestal sink and add a wall cabinet over the toilet to store the TP etc.

o

Kraftmaid makes a 51".
3rd row 2nd one.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://kraftmaidspec.com/media/pdf/Bath and bath vanity cabinets.pdf

o

Yes, Forboystoo :)

These can be found at big box stores. You could get a laminate top and drop in sink. If you ever want to upgrade to solid surface or stone you should be able to do this too.

o

I'd rather have a nice smaller cabinet or even a pedestal sink than laminate and drop-in in our powder room. HD and Lowes have granite tops with sinks 49" for $200, side splashes are available so the 1" on each side would be covered by the side splashes I could mount on a thin board to bring to 1" thickness and caulk the gaps.

Thanks for the kraftmaid info I spent hours searching the Lowes and Home Depot sites and went in person and could not find that information!

o

Why should you settle for caulking the gaps when you did not cause this damage? Seems like you HOA is getting the upper hand and you get an inferior replacement.

o

It's hard to tell from your photo, but was the previous countertop marble or cultured marble? Do they expect you to reuse the old top?

My first thought was the same as Chispa's. Why should you have to be 'settling'? In fact, why should you be doing the legwork anyways? If the previous vanity was a custom-made one, then that's what they should be replacing it with. Is the condo itself liable and not an insurance co? Is this why there are the cost issues? I realize that any 'upgrades' would have to borne by you, but wouldn't that be better than 'settling'?

Have been going through this with my son whose kitchen was flooded LAST October... looks like it may finally get finished within the next couple of weeks!

Good luck, I personally would hate to lose so much storage, a 51" vanity with two banks of drawers on each side of the sink base can hold a fair amount of stuff!

o

Did a google search for 51" vanities, lots of choices came up. Here's the first one:

Here is a link that might be useful: 51

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here