Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wakefieldremodeler

Vintage Powder Room Reno Pix

wakefieldremodeler
12 years ago

Dear Fellow Remodelers:

Thanks for all of the help in getting this bathroom remodeling together. I think Garden Web is absolutely

the best resource out there. I learned so much from everybody else who has gone before me. I bow to the wisdom of the hive! This is small recompense, but here are the pictures of my bathroom reno.

Here's where we started. The original space was about 5 by 5. The house is 1880, 1450 square feet, but reads much larger, due to the somewhat open floor plan. The wainscoting tile was actually made of plastic, sold in sheets. The wallpaper I originally chose -- let's just say I could have won an ugly wallpaper contest. The toilet was ancient, with the stains to prove it. The tiny wall-hung sink barely had enough space to put down a toothbrush. No shower.

What we did: We stole some space from a useless hallway, and added three feet in length so we could shove a shower in there. We gutted the room, but did not move any plumbing to save money. The wainscoting tile was my one splurge in a three-project deal (kitchen, bathroom and second-floor laundry space). It is a 3 by 10 crackle tile by Ceramiche Grazia, color Laguna. I e-mailed the company in Italy, and this is apparently only sold in the U.S. by The Tile Shop in California. I live in Rhode Island. The price was $13.52 per sqf. ; the shipping wasn't too bad, and I got it quickly. (Didn't matter. The pace of the job was much, much slower.)

Even though our house is a Victorian, I went with a 1930s, Art-Deco-ish feel. At Old House Interiors magazine, they would call this "re-muddling." I don't care. Let them be slavish to an era on their own dimes. This is the view from the den.

We saved some hallway to preserve a coat closet. (You don't give up a closet in an old house.) I found an old leaded glass window to use as a fixed transom above the bathroom door. It did not fit the space -- it was too tall, and not long enough. But our talented stained glass artist in town lopped off the top and added a simple design to the side to make it fit. ($50!) I love this little guy.

The fixture is old, but refurbished by JF Pegan Company on ebay.

The toilet is a Toto Promenade; the marble sink console is from Signature Hardware; the floor is white 1-inch hex with black diamonds. It's a small space, so I went with a simple, open pattern. The fixtures were Kohler Memoirs. The lighting was by Hudson Valley Lighting. The medicine cabinet was a cheap metal deal by Kohler. I had my local frame shop re-frame it with an inexpensive frame. Wooden medicine cabinets were around $500. I thought that was ridiculous. My frame job was $80 and the cabinet was about $120.00. The wall-hung towel cabinet reflected in the mirror was constructed from an old French-door style window that was elsewhere in the house. This window was very energy-inefficient, so I replaced it, and had the two window doors stripped. I didn't have enough wall space to use both doors, so one it was, 8 inches deep. Wall color was SW Dewey.

The shower became a funky hybrid. We had designed a 3 by 3 shower, but since it was practically up against the exterior door, we wouldn't be able to fit any molding around the door frame. Well, that's just not Old House. I came up with a rectangular back and a neo-angled front. By cutting the corners, we were able to fit in the door casing.

We went frameless to give the small shower a more open feel. Man, those shower doors are expensive! We also installed a light. The tile is good, ole Lowe's pinwheel, black pencils and 4 by 4 white field tiles.

I love my new bathroom! Thank you to every Garden Web poster who shares his or her renovation triumphs, disasters, anxieties, budgets, smokin' deals and above all, pictures! Now, onto the new roof. (Definitely no fun, but necessary.)

Comments (13)

• enduring
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Very nice, I love the sink but don't know if I will use that style in my remodel. I am in the planning stages. Did you do your own tile? The wall wainscot is beautiful. Did you use a wood baseboard or a tile baseboard? I guess it looks like wood in the last picture. Did you install the wall tile to rest on the baseboard and then caulk? Or did you bring the baseboard forward from the wall so there would be more reveal from the wainscoting? Your hanging cupboard is wonderfully charming.

• yayagal
    12 years ago

Wow, what a beautiful job and it fits right in with the rest of the house. Love it.

• Olychick
    12 years ago

Now how beautiful is that???!!! simply gorgeous!

• wakefieldremodeler
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Dear Enduring:

We did not do our own tile. We have no talents beyond writing -- checks, that is. The original plan was to run the wainscoting down to the floor, and lay the floor over it. But, our floor was so sloped, the difference would have been very obvious on the bottom tile, as it went from a 3-inch width to a 1-inch width. So, we had to install a baseboard, which my carpenter had to construct. The wall tile runs under it, which removes the need for caulk where tile meets wood. This is a better way to go, IMHO. I did it the other way in my upstairs bathroom, before I knew what I was doing. That tiler actually grouted the seam between the top of the wooden baseboard and the tile wainscoting. You can imagine the cracks that developed there. Here's a better shot of the baseboard:

• sas95
    12 years ago

I love it. Great job!

• pricklypearcactus
    12 years ago

Wow, gorgeous! Thank you for sharing pictures and all of the wonderful details. It's absolutely beautiful.

• cat_mom
    12 years ago

Not only a great job on the bathroom, but a well-written write-up, too! Enjoy using your lovely new bathroom!!!

• Fori
    12 years ago

That turned out great!

(for the record, your old wallpaper wasn't bad at all, especially in a Victorian!)

• ellenm08
    12 years ago

wonderful! Love to see what you've created. Thank you so much for sharing!

• karena_2009
    12 years ago

You must be so happy with how your bathroom turned out! Thank you for sharing the details. I particularly like how you were creative by reusing the old light fixture and finding a stain glass transom window to fit above the door. I love the simplicity of the shower, yet it's classical and you packed a lot of punch into that small bathroom! Congratulations!!!

• lisa0527
    12 years ago

Gorgeous and inspirational!

I've been looking at the same vanity, but was worried about the 3/4" carrara top. Yours looks thicker, maybe 1 1/4". Is yours a custom top on the Signature Hardware base??

• wakefieldremodeler
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Dear Lisa0527:

It is not a custom top. Those marble console sinks are so expensive and I had to keep it tight. SH made the most inexpensive version, and one that was only 2' wide -- that's all the space I had. I investigated buying the top and legs separately, and I did find an online seller that was offering the chrome base at a good price -- but, once I started pricing the marble top-- materials, labor -- the total went right back up to the SH price. That said, I don't think the SH marble is the best quality, but it's a good value. I wasn't worried about the thickness of the stone -- this is a powder room, so it doesn't get the workout of a main bathroom -- it's more about the nature of marble itself -- easily etched, a bit softer than granite. This marble was not very white, but again, it was good for the price. I'm happy with it.

• sergeantcuff
    12 years ago

It's really nice! You made perfect choices. Seeing your shower has been helpful. I would like to do something similar and am very encouraged that your tile was from Lowes (which should fit my budget). Thanks for sharing the detailed pictures.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz