Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
davis_jones

Privacy Glass Partition (or other ideas) Needed

Davis Jones
10 years ago

I had asked for ideas couple months ago regarding bathroom layout and... layout is essentially done. That said I have an issue I am having trouble finding photos, etc showing possibilities.

I have 142 inches of wall space in which a toilet, tub (undermount) and shower must coexist. I THOUGHT I was going to have room for a thin knee wall between the tub and toilet (kneewall is NOT meant to allow one ot use toilet with anothe rin room.. it is however meant to (a) block view of toilet when entering room and (b) provide some privacy in event one is using toilet and someone walks in unexpectedly.

Without getting into layout or spacing I would very much like to know if anyone has used privacy glass to provide that partition. I could mount such on edge of granite deck surrounding tub (not thrilled conceptually), have frosted glass mounted inside wooden trim (matching cabinets), use acrylic/glass blocks on edge of tub, etc... just need a way to provide a thin barrier between tub and toilet. Absolutely no room for a true knee wall without sacrificing needed space from shower.

Any images, experiences appreciated. Need to make up my mind by tomorrow! Bathroom was gutted today and this came up.!

Comments (14)

• Katy60
    10 years ago

I thought about doing something like this, using the type of clips used for showers to hold a glass divider. We decided against it because we wanted to be able to add grab bars in the future easily.

Here is a link that might be useful: [Image from Houzz[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/bathe2-modern-bathroom-dc-metro-phvw-vp~67793)

• Davis Jones
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thx Katy,

That in essence ios what my contractor suggested yesterday. I'm trying to see a way that it "works" butright now am just not feeling too good about it. It seems very contemporary and our bathroom is somewhere closer to transitional with a lean toward traditional. I guess good news is a glass panel can be added after the fact if we simply decide to forego the privacy wall idea altogether and just lock doors better. I do prefer the kneewall look though as it hides the view of the toilet. Had our bathroom been 6 inches wider it would be far simpler! Thx again for the post.

• lotteryticket
    10 years ago

Could you use something like a door panel, with divided lights and turn it into a fixed panel with frosted glass? You might even find one in a salvage yard. Or maybe a shoji screen?

• lotteryticket
    10 years ago

Or something like this. I could see this in a traditional bath.

• Davis Jones
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thx Lottery. Your thoughts are helpful.... given I will only have 35 inches of width between my toilet and tub (wall to tub deck distance), whatever I do will probably go on top of my tub deck (sitting on the granite but I'll have about 6 inches of granite to play with).

As best I can estimate, the tub deck height will be between 23 1/2 and 24 inches high. If I place the "privacy panel/object" on top of tub deck, it will only need to be 18 to 24 inches tall (give or take a few). I think a total height of 48 inches will properly hide the toilet, occupied or otherwise.

I am a little hesitant to use anything with wood given water from the tub itself but I am playing with idea of something similar to the door panel/frosted glass approach.

Another option is to use an acrylic wall/divider since I can have the frame in an oil rubbed bronze color, more closely matching the cabinets and most certainly matching the hardware in room. Something like this but smaller, framed on all 4 sides and frame color darker (bronze).

At least some progress has been made today when I decided the knee wall was definitely going to not happen. This decision gave me 35 inches for toilet space width and 42 inches interior shower width.And to think my builder grade shower space was 36 x 36 inches.. sure seemed bigger 21 years ago :)

PS I do not have the link but I captured this image from the Houzz website

• Nancy in Mich
    10 years ago
  • Katy60
    10 years ago

Here's one where they hung an antique panel from the ceiling. If you found a panel you liked, that would also avoid having wood on the floor where water can sit.

Here is a link that might be useful: [Hanging panel[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/historic-schoolhouse-loft-traditional-bathroom-chicago-phvw-vp~1122166)

• Davis Jones
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the replies! The bathroom has a cathedral ceiling so a hanging panel would have to be done from the wall to avoid a long chain, etc but certainly worth considering. The tub deck has now been built so I can better see the height involved.

The metal ideas were also quite original and appreciated. One thing I am learning about myself is the overall fatigue I have with this project. For me it began in July trying to get contractors involved, getting vanity layouts done, light fixtures bought, multiple faucets, a new large window for bathroom, factoring in the necessary changes and so on. The tub itself became a major headache due to limited space and my long legs. This selection I fear has come at a time I no longer want to make decisions!

That's what makes the help here so valuable and appreciated. I now know far more about tubs, toilets, faucets, mixing valves, diverter valves and so on that I ever cared to know!

Right now I am leaning toward using a piece of frosted shower glass mounted to wall and sitting on top of the granite to provide the privacy barrier. It sounds simple and if it does not work out is a simple fix and cost is relatively affordable.

The usage of metal is also interesting to me and may well factor in with the ORB as an option. Another fairly simple solution. The needed height of the partition is only about 20 inches so it isn't a huge wall and thus the glass may work. I did not want a tall glass divider like some of the photos I had seen on houzz but given how short it may be glass could work.

The help here is very appreciated and thanks for everyone who has taken time to offer solutions. Even the ones which may not be a direct appeal still help as they often take me inot a thought direction I had not thought of before!

This won't be done for a few weeks but I'll post a photo of the installation when it is done. Thanks again for the posts!

• enduring
    10 years ago

I like your glass panel idea. Did you say your were thinking of having it framed in ORB too? Either way I like the idea. Some of the other ideas are lovely that are shown too. I do not care for the glass block image posted.

Hang in there. You posted such a kind and thoughtful appreciation of all the help you received here on GW. So many great responses.

• Davis Jones
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Enduring,

After I had posted the glass block framed thingee and had a day to think about it I realized how much I disliked it! Still, for the right person and application it could work (though the one I had in mind had a frame all the way around and the frame was smaller).

I always appreciate the help and postings on this forum. Overall, it seems to be about the friendliest and most supportive forum I have ever visited. When people take their time to respond I try to do a good job of saying thanks and also thinking about thier ideas. Even if I don't like exactly what they suggest it often leads to another idea that may work. But bototm line when a perosn takes their time to offer help it is something I always appreciate.

The glass idea.. I need to meet with my contractors shower glass person. I have no idea what options he offers. I have seen shower glass with ORB trim on the top edges and actually think I like that especially if it helps avoid the brackets. I had not thought about ORB trim on the glass piece so thanks for suggesting that. It may very well work nicely. I had seen a shower glass web site which offered a bronze colored glass and thought it might be worth considering but the trim may do a better job.

Given how small this will be I am actually feeling better about the glass idea. it is also very non invasive so if we do it and ayear later hate it, it can always be removed.

I am now 1 week into the renovation (day 5) and while we are a bit behind in schedule it is shaping up. Tub frame is in, shower layout is in place (framing), floors have been leveled 9for tile), the wonderful popcorn ceilings have been scraped and Monday should bring in the plumber, electricians Tuesday and we should be off and running!

At times this has been a tiring project and mentally draining but again the help I have received from you guys has been invaluable. Many many good and unique ideas!

• Nancy in Mich
    9 years ago

jdavis, did you ever post the finished bathroom? I am interested in what your final solution was, and how you have liked it over the months of use.

Pictures, please! Your bathroom sounds interesting and I would love to see it finished.

• Davis Jones
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A year ago already and I was already feeling old :) Sorry for the lapse as I usually try to remember to close things out better!

The privacy glass part... we had a custom piece of glass cut and on day of installation we saw where it had been mismeasured. The final decision had been to install a piece of glass on top of tub deck and mounted into wall. However, it looked horrible and made the toilet space very cramped. Luckily, the glass had been cut incorrectly and we were able to return it without charge.

As a result, we punted. The toilet is perfectly centered between the wall and tub deck per code. Only reason for the glass idea to begin with was for some privacy in event door was opened without warning!

If the room were 1 foot wider I would have put in a half height wall to provide that. But I wanted a wider shower and thus the final decision was to eliminate the privacy barrier,

In the end the barrier really has not been missed so we made the right decision for us. As are a lot of things it is about compromises and working with what is there.

I am working nights 6X per week but I will try to post a few photos when I get away from work. Hope this info helps. The privacy glass idea for our space made the toilet area feel way too tight. Had there been 6 or so more inches it may have worked but in general now that things are open I think I prefer what I have gotten used to! John

• Nancy in Mich
    9 years ago

Thanks for the update, John!