Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dkotov

5x9 small bathroom - need help with planning?

Denitza Kotov
10 years ago

We are converting a laundry room/1/2 bath to a laundry room/full bath ( kids 2nd bathroom in the house ).

Please see the attached initial plan.

I need some help with a couple of things.

1) Should I go with a wall mounted toilet? Don't even know if my 1952 wall would fit the reservoir - how I can check that?
It's also expensive...is it worth the $?
2) Where to position the lights - the vanity will be custom made with off-centered sink. Do I need only one LED can in the middle of the room or a pendant above sink etc.?
4) Wall faucet maybe to save space and easy to clean?
3) Where to put all of the bathrooms accessories - towel holders etc. I don't have any free wall space for that???

Please share your tips with dealing with small bathrooms.
The bathroom is kind of wide and not very deep.

Thank you!

Comments (11)

• ineffablespace
    10 years ago

The in-wall carriers are from Geberit

Here is a link that might be useful: Geberit

• jjlynch723
    10 years ago

Is it a tub/shower combo? Or just a tub?

• Denitza Kotov
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It is a tub shower combo. Thank you!

• hoffmalr_gw
    10 years ago

On number 3, you can use a double shower rod for the tub and hang towels from there. An example is linked below. You have room for a wall-mounted one for hand towels next to your sink, it looks like.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lowe's shower rod

• enduring
    10 years ago

Is that an exterior wall that the sink is against and the front of the tub? If so you can't plumb that wall in most cases. The pipes will freeze. I don't know about plumbing in places like Florida, etc. If you live where plumbing in an exterior wall is a no no, then the wall mounted faucet is out. The wall hung toilet will work only if it is on an interior wall. The shower tub area will have to have to be flipped so that the wall between the two rooms holds the plumbing.

• Denitza Kotov
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, the door with the sink and windows is an exterior wall but we are in CA - would that work?

Yes, the tub drawing is incorrect - the shower head should be on the other side - internal wall.

Thank you for the tips!

• enduring
    10 years ago

You will need to check your local plumbing codes for details on plumbing placement. I know California is a big state, hot and cold areas :)

• elphaba_gw
    10 years ago

1) Should I go with a wall mounted toilet? Don't even know if my 1952 wall would fit the reservoir - how I can check that?
    It's also expensive...is it worth the $?

We have a new wall mounted toilet in our hall bath and one in our very small master bath too. I really like the extra room and the openess it adds to the room ambience BUT... I don't like the fact that a toilet brush must be used VERY frequently. We have Toto fixtures (Aquia) and before we bought our second one, I thought about getting Duravit but then someone posted on this forum where they had the samee problem with the Duravit toilet. From what I can figure out (I've read this nowhere else), seems because the toilet is wall mounted, the "cavity" is much deeper instead of being a wider bowl like most toilets. Because of this, the procelain isn't wet all the time and "things" stick to it more easily. That is what I'm seeing. I wouldn't change our choice of wall mounted now that I know this but I AM very disappointed. Best decision I made was to include a wall mounted toilet brush adjacent to make it a little easier/quicker to clean. Amazon has a Hansgrohe brand for $50 which works well. Good luck.

2) Where to position the lights - the vanity will be custom made with off-centered sink. Do I need only one LED can in the middle of the room or a pendant above sink etc.?

Can't have too much light IMO. If in doubt, add.

4) Wall faucet maybe to save space and easy to clean?
    No complaints about our wall faucet. would definitely do this again though in the back of my mind, I struggle with the idea of having problems accessing if there is ever a problem. Buy first rate fixtures and have a smart contractor is one thing that eases my mind a bit.

3) Where to put all of the bathrooms accessories - towel holders etc. I don't have any free wall space for that???

I bought a 4 ft wide medicine cabinet, Pegasus (don't get it from Home Depot - there shipping broke ours twice, finally ordered from Plumbers Supply). Also bought two "hotel" towel shelves for installing over the toilet for folding extra towels. You also have room at the base of your tub for a couple of hooks for towels (or a least one) looks to me. Or what about a swing out towel bar between the toilet and the wall with the pocket door. Even with the pocket door, looks like you might have room for installing just one side of thee swing-arm towel bar.
    http://www.smedbo.com/smedbous/products/loft/ls326.aspx

• Denitza Kotov
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for the great tips!

I am trying to plan everything in advance since we had some issues with the kitchen remodel.

I also have to tile the laundry room so I need to pick a tile that would go OK in both spaces and look nice.

Elphaba: What was the cost of putting a wall mounted toilet? Since I need to move my toilet which will be expensive, I am not sure how much more money I would need for that. Which model/brand do you have? Thank you!

• elphaba_gw
    10 years ago

We have Toto - Aquia wall mounted toilet bowl with the Toto carrier. I'm embarassed to say I don't know how much. I bought fixtures on Homeclick. Otherwise there would have been a long back log (8 weeks or something) for the Toto carrier on all the other websites I checked out. I lucked out that Homeclick had this on their shelf

Cost of moving plumbing - our walls were already torn all apart because of nearby washing machine move - basically our shower bath remodel was hugely expensive - I think the two parts for the toilet were in the neighborhood of $700 sum total - and I don't have the breakout for the labor on the plumbing. I hope it doesn't sound too arrogant to say that if you are very worried about cost, this probably isn't the toilet you want to have installed.

(Not to mention that I strongly recommend that you make sure your sewer line is not "problematic" - i.e. that it is not a very old one that is already known to clog now and then.)

But if this is your once in a lifetime chance to have the bathroom of your dreams (like it was mine), then I definitely say go for it. I have no regrets.

• Denitza Kotov
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Elphaba! Would love to see some pics of your bathroom.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH