Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
abrshafer_gw

I don't like my tub tile! How can it be fixed?

abrshafer
10 years ago

I just saw my finished master tub this morning and I don't like it at all!

The small mosaic and the larger tile seem out of proportion? Originally I was going to also have the small mosaic be on the vanity wall behind mirrors. However, I just found out the wood mirrors (custom made to match vanity) will cover most of the wall and only two inches of the mosaic would show. So now I think that I will eliminate there so the only place the small mosaic would be seen is at tub... That also seems wrong somehow.

The master shower is a combination of the large 12x24 tiles (also used on floor and what is next to mosaic on tub) and the glass 2 x 4 glass tiles.

What are some recommendations?

This post was edited by abrshafer on Thu, Oct 10, 13 at 19:07

Comments (16)

• enduring
    10 years ago

Have you selected your paints and your window treatment?

I think the tile and mosaic looks nice together.

What is on the front of the tub, the lighting doesn't show the surface - looks like a black hole. It is going to be tiled, and if so, what tile?

You might have to just take it out down to the first row of tile and extend the plain tile up to your end row, if you want the mosaic gone. Taking out sooner than later is best as you might be able to pop off the tiles within the first day or two without damaging the walls.

• abrshafer
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The front of the tub is this tile. It is the accent tile of the shower. I don't like the extra little wrap of tile around edge. It does look really dark with te lighting.

I was not able to take a picture of my shower as the painters were taping off all the areas.... I am painting the bathroom SW 7022 alpaca.

I think I may just remove mosiac tile or replace with two rows of this tile.

• live_wire_oak
    10 years ago

Too many different tiles that don't coordinate. I'd get rid of the mosaic and use the tile that's on the front of the tub and that is the accent in the shower. (It's the same tile, right?) Or else get rid of that tile and replace it with the mosaic.

• Nancy in Mich
    10 years ago

I think that the line of small mosaic in green on the tan field tile looks great. The tiler even took the line around the corner to meet the windows, which is correct and looks nice. I would replace the tiles at the front of the tub with the field tiles and use more green mosaic as an accent tile in the shower. IMHO, the small tiles on the front of the tub do not look interesting enough or have enough of a complimentary color to serve as a secondary tile to the tan field tile. Too boring with the brownish-redish bricks. It just does not have the pizzaz to be an accent. Just my opinion, though.

• cjarw
    10 years ago

Nancy in Mich nailed it. I agree with everything she said. And I love your mosaic tile - please don't take it out.

• User
    10 years ago

Well, I like the green tiles and the black tiles, and find the tan to be the "off" note in the pictured combo. (As long as you add some more lighting to carry off the dark tones.)

But, what do the floor tiles look like that are also the shower tiles? Those are the most permanent element installed so far. Everything else can probably be removed and replaced fairly easily.

You can get it more coordinated, but we're missing one of the elements.

• pricklypearcactus
    10 years ago

I agree with the statements that there are too many different tiles going on, especially in a single space. Limit yourself to a single accent tile in the tub area. I personally prefer the blue/green mosaic and it's placement over the tile on the front of the tub deck. However, if you already have that tile accenting in the shower, it's difficult to say what to do.

• lafdr
    10 years ago

I like it! Give yourself some time to live with it and see what you think. If the rest of the bathroom is not finished, finish it and see what the whole picture looks like. Even put down a bath rug/mat to see if it changes the look.

• lafdr
    10 years ago

I like it! Give yourself some time to live with it and see what you think. If the rest of the bathroom is not finished, finish it and see what the whole picture looks like. Even put down a bath rug/mat to see if it changes the look.

• abrshafer
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone for the advice!

Here is more information:

The shower is finished. The main wall is the American Olean 2 x 4 glass tile. (Its called charcoal - www.lowes.com/pd_355357-74035-DG7124BJHC1P_4294730930%2B4294965034 )
    The other walls are the floor tile which is a 12x24 beige color. It doesn't have any pizazz but it looks fine. Originally I was going to have some of the blue mosaic be part of the shower but had the idea nixed by both the tile stores saleslady and my contractor as being to busy.... I will take more pictures tomorrow evening after the painters have finished and post.

Again, my original idea was to have this mosaic "Majestic Ocean 1x1" really shine on the vanity wall...I still could have it on the vanity wall but it would only show 2 inches on the sides and lower edge. The top would have about 10 inches show since the light fixtures would be mounted above the mirrors.

• abrshafer
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is a close up of the charcoal glass tile and a piece of the floor tile (which is also on shower and tub) So these three tiles are all the tiles in the bathroom tub, floors, and shower.

Right now, I am leaning towards taking the charcoal off the front of the tub and replacing with the mosaic. Would that look "off' if it is nowhere else in room to tie it together? or should I do the few inches that would show on vanity?

I really wouldn't want to change anything in shower if possible since it is complete and I know it would cost $$$... and it looks fine if a little plain...

• enduring
    10 years ago

what is the close up of the mosaic you have on your tub? In this last picture with the floor tile and the glass tile I think it is very pretty together on my screen. The travertine must have a lot of gray in it. The charcoal has some lavender in it, at least on my screen. Now the mosaic on the wainscot, what color is it?

I don't think I would add another mosaic to your mix. I might just tile the front of the tub with the travertine if you take down the glass. Then if you don't like the mosaic at the wainscot either put some more of the charcoal glass tile in there as a listello, or just tile with the travertine.

Since you are having trouble getting these to work, I think less is more. Use the travertine for the field tiles and just the charcoal glass for accents.

• pricklypearcactus
    10 years ago

Can you take a picture of the floor tile + charcoal accent + mosaic accent? Looking at the charcoal + floor tile I can see why you put them together: they look great. From the separate pictures, it looks like the mosaic maybe has some of the same charcoal color in it? What about taking down all but or two strips of the charcoal tile from the front of the tub. Then replacing most of it with the floor tile and adding a little bit of the mosaic tile as well (right next to the charcoal). If the mosaic shares colors with the charcoal, maybe putting them together as an accent on the tub will help tie things together. Also, I agree with you that the charcoal tile looks funny on the walls next to the tub deck and I would want that to be the same as the floor tile.

• abrshafer
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks again for the advice! I really like the look of the mosaic with the charcoal. I think I want to have them together either on the accent on top of tub or front apron area. I just hope it doesn't cost to much $ to fix....

Do you think I should put the mosaic behind the vanity mirrors/light fixtures?

{{!gwi}}

• enduring
    10 years ago

Your vanity picture didn't show up.

The mosaic gives the area a more laid back look because of the causal layout of the colors. The shower is somewhat modern looking because of the clean lines, while the tub is more traditional looking. That mix of styles may be the problem in this case.

• raehelen
    10 years ago

Have read through the whole post, so forgive me if you've already mentioned this, but I think it might pull things together if you do a line of the charcoal glass tile over and below the mosaic. Not sure if this would be easy to fit, ie if you have enough space in just the space where the mosaic is now, or if you'd have to cut down the row of travertine field tiles just below the mosaic. You could also put a small strip of the mosaic in your charcoal glass in the front, but that may be too matchy- matchy...you could tape/tack some mosaic on top of the charcoal to see if you like it?

Part of the problem for us, is that your mosaic is reading green tones on our computers in the bath photo, not at all like it looks in your photo of the mosaic by itself, not on the wall. So, does it read 'green' in real life too? Is it possible that on the wall in the sun, it doesn't read blue like you had intended?