Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Installing knobs on too-thick drawers

Posted by gale1965 (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 14, 13 at 19:30

I bought some knobs that have the screw coming out of the back of the knob itself (with a nut and washer included) instead of having a separate screw. Naturally they are just barely too short for my bathroom cabinet drawers. Would you drill a bigger hole on the drawer box itself (on the inside) to inset the nut and washer? To do that should I remove the drawer fronts first? I have the same problem in the kitchen, but there are separate screws on the knobs in there so I can just buy slightly longer screws.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Installing knobs on too-thick drawers

Can you just leave off the washer?

-Babka

o

Yes, drill a larger hole in the drawer box.. Should not have to remove the drawer front if you are careful.

o

Even if I left the washer off it won't reach. The screw doesn't come out of the hole at all. But it's long enough to clear the drawer front. I'll try it on some scrap first to make sure I can be careful. My concern is that the drawer box was hard to drill through with a regular bit so I'm wondering if it will take considerable pressure on a spade bit and end up drilling too deep. I'll test it. If I have to take the fronts off it won't be a huge deal. There are only two drawers where I have to do this.

o

The knob/screw had to be assembled at some point. Are you sure you cannot remove the screw and put a longer shaft in there? Got a photo? I'd mess with the knob before I mess with the cabinets. You might be making more work for yourself should you decide to use different knobs in the future on those same cabinets.

-Babka

o

I'll have to check it. I bought the knobs at Hobby Lobby. They're in the new house and I'm in the old (no internet in the new one yet) so I'll look when I go back there. Good point about having an issue later if I change knobs.

o

The screw part appears to be glued in. I'll have to see if I can find regular knobs that I like or decide if I want to mess with these.

o

I would go with new knobs, the spade bit is too scary, never liked them. More than likely you will have to purchase longer screws, as the ones they give you with the knobs are too small.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here