Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking for 1913-appropriate, affordable faucet

Posted by theresse (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 4, 13 at 19:11

Hello -

I can't BELIEVE how expensive faucets are! And what's worse is I really want polished nickel! Or at least polished stainless which is probably just as expensive (don't want chrome nor brushed nickel). Nothing decent on Craigslist but just the cost of the sink, pedestal and plumber installation is waaaay more than I ever thought I'd spend. :(

Any place you know of that sells decent period-appropriate faucets online that is reputable/trustworthy and has decent prices?

Any faucet in particular that you like? I could always google it and might get lucky (one can dream).

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for 1913-appropriate, affordable faucet

Try Signature Hardware. They sell faucets made by Strom Plumbing, which are typically well-regarded, solid brass innards in a lot of period styles. Though it's worth asking whether any components of the particular model you are interested in are plastic, since many previously "all brass" or "all brass and stainless" faucets now do have plastic components. Symmons and Chicago faucets are also solid and well made, but you may not find a style that works for you in them.

o

We're redoing our 1916 bath, and found that that time period's a little tough because it is transitional between more Victorian and more deco looking fixtures, and most of the actual faucets from the period are pretty blah (and don't seem to be reproduced much, probably for that reason.) Of course, the upside of that transitional period is that you have a lot of flexibility in style.

We went with a Kohler Bancroft from FaucetDirect. (I won't claim it's authentic. It's not real cheap, but anyone who sees it knows you didn't pick it up at Home Depot.) Other people here have recommended FaucetDirect, and their prices and selection are very good.

We got our sink from Vintage Tub; you may want to take a look at them also. Just inquire re delivery time if you're in a hurry.

o

Try looking at these brands that are listed on this link. There are comments about the manufacturer, the warranty, reliability, etc. This site has other helpful articles as well. The site I linked is part 2. If you want more general information on finishes and how a faucet works, go to the upper left of the page and click on "articles". There you will find part 1, and many other articles.

Here is a link that might be useful: An Overview of Faucets: Faucet Reviews and Ratings

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here