Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
repair a cast iron tub?

Posted by melissastar (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 8, 13 at 18:50

So this weekend, I scored big time at a local builder's supply auction...nabbed a brand new Kohler's Memoirs tub, sink and pedestal sink for $1000. They were not, however, boxed. Today when they were delivered, the tub had been damaged in transit. (I know, I know, it's a risk you take...but the guys delivering had done faultless jobs for me before, bringing in refrigerator, capital range, sinks, etc. for my kitchen remodel a few years ago).

Now the tub has about a 5" black mark right across the front. It's not deep, doesn't even feel recessed. But it also isn't coming off with rubbing. Is there any way to repair the damage? I'm feeling sick.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: repair a cast iron tub?

First try barkeeper's friend and see if that helps. It works on tile marks, as recommended by Bill V when he used to post here.

EDIT and it has to be BKF. Bon Ami is not the same thing, although people often think you can substitute it. BA has no bleaching agent in it, unlike BKF.

This post was edited by writersblock on Tue, Oct 8, 13 at 19:44

o

I should say that was assuming that it is a black mark on the surface of the tub and not a scratch that's revealing the actual iron.

o

It worked! I was really hoping it wasn't scratched, but couldn't figure out what the black could be otherwise. And it wasn't coming up with just water.

Thanks so much! And thanks for the distinction between BKF and BonAmi...I've often wondered! I take it then that it's OK to use BKF on the tub for regular cleaning too? Or only when it's really needed to remove something?

o

Well, my tub dates from 1979 and I've used BKF fairly frequently and the finish is still good. I mostly use steam for regular cleaning, though, and BKF only for bleaching out stains in the bottom of the tub.

I'm glad it worked for you.

o

The Kohler instruction sheet list the things that they recommend for cleaning cast iron. I wouldn't use BKF except in an emergancy, myself. I love BKF on my stainless steel though.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here