Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lee676

Which direction is a shower curtain liner supposed to face?

lee676
9 years ago

I realize this ranks quite low amongst life quandaries....

But I wonder which side of vinyl or fabric shower curtain liners should be on the inside where it gets wet every time I put a new one up. One side, which I assume is the front, is smoother and usually better looking. The back side has folded seams at the edges and is usually a bit rougher in texture, which I assume makes it harder to keep clean. But putting the smooth side inside also means the back is visible from the rest of the bathroom and doesn't look as good.

Does the answer depend if you also have a separate decorative shower curtain as well as an inner liner, which would solve the looks problem? Or does nobody but me even notice which side is which?

Comments (14)

• oldfixer
    9 years ago

A liner is a liner, not a curtain. I put a white liner (inside the tub) behind the curtain (outside the tub).

• cat_mom
    9 years ago

I hang the "right" side facing out (facing the inside of the shower curtain). "Wrong" side facing into the tub.

(Edited--I had written it backwards! LOL)

This post was edited by cat_mom on Thu, Oct 2, 14 at 14:22

• lee676
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So these are really intended only for use with separate curtains? I often see just a "liner" used by itself in homes and hotels, and some of them, like the grey striped 'Saltgrund' I just bought at Ikea are clearly making some attempt at looking good on their own.

• Sureshpulihora
    9 years ago

The liner works better facing out, that it is designed in such a way that it sheds water .... Liners, by definition, are meant to be used with an outer surface.

Here is a link that might be useful: Buy Dining set online

• Bunny
    9 years ago

I got one at BB&B that doesn't need a liner. White on white stripes, $20, I love it. Smooth on both sides, keeps water inside. No vinyl smell. I'll never go back.

• jerzeegirl
    9 years ago

That sounds nice linelle. Have you ever seen a curtain and liner that splits down the middle? That's what I am currently looking for.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

jerzee, like window curtains that are on both sides and meet in the middle? Wouldn't that create a major water breach zone, unless you made sure the two sides overlapped?

• lee676
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think think it may be for a 3' long shower; most curtains and liners are 6' long. I simply take scissors to the liner and carefully cut them in half, which also means each one lasts twice as long as I later replace the first half with the second. This would be more difficult for a curtain though if like me you don't have a sewing machine.

This post was edited by lee676 on Thu, Oct 2, 14 at 13:57

• jerzeegirl
    9 years ago

I think you just overlap the two center edges but it may depend on where your splash zone is as to whether that would be successful. At first I was looking at the glass bath screens but I thought those had even more potential for splashing.

• Cheryl Zellner
    5 years ago

Starts to rank a little higher when you have visitors coming and you want to spruce the place up. :-)

• Jeff Meeks
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I've never understood the need for both a liner and a curtain other than to double sales. I use a simple cotton shower curtain. I keeps water in the shower and dries quickly enough. I wash it regularly and it stays clean and fresh.

• Laura Tansey
    3 years ago

Wow Only 1 answer, 1st one, was even close to the question this person asked, did anyone even read the question before answering, anyway thx for the answer, 1st one lol.

• Nicole Bennett
    3 years ago

@Laura Tansey lol I thought it was just me!! Like thanks but can you focus on the question! 😂