Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Slate Tile Floor Progress :)

Posted by enduring (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 4, 12 at 18:24

How does it look you guys? I have hemmed and hawed over this floor for a long time. It is Brazian slate, gauged. I purchased it by special order from HD. I then cut the tile in 1/2 to get 6x12". I got a perfect saw for rent at HD. It was a MX 660. Portable and did an accurate job of cutting.

This is the Ditra, set with Ditra-Set (unmodified) over my self leveling compound (SLC), which encases my floor heating wires. Note the waviness. It is due to my inexpert hand. I cut away the more awkwardly raised sections of Ditra, to remove the uneven dried thinset, and reapply it level. I don't have a picture of the fixed area but it worked:
Photobucket

Here is the halfway mark (or less). It is being set with unmodified Ditra-Set as well. Using 1/4 grout spacing. I have centered the chevron to the doorway, pointing to the tub:
Photobucket

Closeup of my pattern and grout spacing:
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Slate Tile Floor Progress :)

Well look at you, a tiling all-star and everything! Congrats on the progress!

And when you're done there...you're hired! lol

o

Impressive! I love the chevron pattern.

o

Mongoct I could not have done this job without the help from you, Bill V, and Stonetech.

That Ditra was a challenge. I had no idea that my thinset bed wasn't level and competently applied. That Ditra told the real story. It now has been instrumental in helping me follow a line. Those grids are terrific. There is about a 1/4" deviation on the right side as I have laid this amount of tile. The tiles are drifting away from the wall ever so slightly (1/4" in about 3'). But this area will be covered by a sink base.

Here is my floor plan: I think I am setting the tile, in real life, a little better than I set it in this drawing ;)
Photobucket

o

Looks terrific so far! If the floor comes out anywhere close to your awesome herringbone kitchen backsplash, it will be gorgeous!

o

I just noticed...you rotated the pattern 45-degrees from your original drawing way back when. It looks nice on the diagonal, the floor tile draws your eye all across the room instead of just straight through it.

o

Yes, mongoct you remembered ;) I did rotate it! Interesting subtile detail about how the eye travels through the room with the pattern set at 45.

I spun that drawing around and around, one month straight on, then at 45, then I thought I'd settled on straight on. Last month I went back to the diagonal. As I was cutting the tiles, I laid it out in both styles. I would have been happy with either. My kitchen is connected through this bathroom door and has a 45-degree pattern backsplash pattern so I thought I'd go with the 45 for continuity. I considered a running bond the full tiles, and a running bond with cut tiles. All patterns running in both directions. I read somewhere that the pattern I've chosen gives the illusion of elongating the room.

I am going to grout it with Spectralock = So far my plan is 2 parts Platinum and 1 part Silver Shadow to brighten the platinum up a bit.

But if the Spectralock Silver Shadow will not stain and stay silver/gray/white, under heavy traffic, I'd consider that too. Thoughts?

o

Cat_mom thanks for the nice complement! I'm only able to do about 12 sf at a time. I mix up 1/2 bag of thinset and when its gone I've got about 12sf laid. The thinset is just starting to run its coarse in about this time frame. I don't know if that is average thinset coverage or not. Experienced tilers probably are more effecient with the thinset. I wipe an awful lot off the top after it has dried :) I'm not showing the unwashed version. The unwashed tiles looked like a couple of cats had their friends over for a dance party!

o

LOL at the cats' dance party remark!!!

I don't know how efficient or not our tile guys are, but I do know that they are meticulous to the extreme. :-) I think you must be as well, as evidenced by the work you've shown!

o

Wow, looking great! Enduring, you are A M A Z I N G !

o

Mabeldingeldine, thanks! It is encouraging to get your complement. I now have all the edges cut out and dry fit. I will not set them until I am done with the main section where whole tiles go. I spent all day yesterday cutting all the points and laying them out for fit. Today I was going to set, but didn't :/ I have been spending a leisurely day in the house.

o

Ya gotta mix in some leisure. We had a looong day yesterday taking out the old tile floor in our bath. We did not finish, but took today off anyway since the sun was out! It will wait. I am so impressed with your skills! I would totally come and help you build that sink when you are ready -- sort of an apprenticeship!

o

Thanks Mabeldingel, I'm the apprentice! I've never done a sink before. I guess you could say it's on my bucket list. I will let you know how it comes out.

I totally agree with taking leisure.

I seem to only be able to lay about 12 sq ft of tile at any one time. It takes me 2 hours start to finish with that 12 sq ft. I remember with the kitchen backsplash I was complaining about like that too:) 1/2 a bag of thinset is all I can mix at one time. It is too much for time and for weight if I try more than that. I am probably using too much thinset under the tiles. As I have gotten into the swing of tiling I see I could be more economical on the thinset. But it is too late for that on this job, or I would have a small step between the old thinset version and the new.

I have 11 sq ft left, Yippy! It is all pre cut and ready to install. I think I have to put the threshold in before this last row, so that I can get it in to it's location at the door jamb.

o

Again someone wanted to see the pictures on this thread but the links where lost when i rearranged my photobucket folders. Refer to the original post for more detailed information on the pictures.

1st picture of the Ditra waviness mentioned in initial post:
 photo IMG_2700.jpg

2nd picture "Here is the halfway mark (or less)."
 photo IMG_2701.jpg

3rd picture (I think) "Closeup of my pattern and grout spacing": BTW, I have since thrown those shoes out :)
 photo IMG_2702.jpg

4th picture "Here is my floor plan...":
 photo bathroomfloorherringbonetile1-7-1.jpg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here