Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janesylvia

Toto UltraMax II one-piece or Kohler Cimarron 2-piece toilet?

janesylvia
11 years ago

I recently bought a house and plan to remodel it before moving in.

I have two Toto ultramax toilets in my current house. For the newly bought house, I don't know if I need to replace the toilets with Toto ultramax II one-piece with sanagloss ones or Kohler Cimarron 2-piece ones. Which model is better?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Comments (11)

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

Why aren't you considering Drake II (2-piece of the ultramax)? I am not sure why you've narrowed down to these two, and knowing that could be helpful in understanding your thought process so we can better answer...

(PS, we are very happy with our Drake II with sanagloss).

• janesylvia
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Kirkhall, thank you very much for sharing your experience of TOTO drake II with sanagloss. My main hesitation is which model to choose--Toto or Kohler. I never used Kohler toilets at home before. It looks like choosing Toto again would not be wrong.

• janesylvia
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Suzanne10023, thank you very much for sharing your experience of Toto Ultramax one-piece toilet. Its low profile did make a small bathroom look bigger.

• dianne47
    11 years ago

Toto is the best toilet brand, hands down. Check Terry Love's toilet forum for many many discussions about toilets. I own a Toto Soiree with Sanagloss and it's a fantastic toilet, no clogs EVER. We're adding on to our house right now and will be buying another Soiree for the master and a Drake for the guest suite. You'll definitely learn everything you need to know at Terry's toilet forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: Terry Love Toilet Forum

• lascatx
    11 years ago

I have Kohler in all our baths and no problems. I like them, and at the time we started replacing them, it seemed I was reading a lot of problems or complaints about Toto -- which surprised me. I don't think either is bad.

• herring_maven
    11 years ago

dianne47: "Toto is the best toilet brand, hands down."

Toto designs and makes excellent toilets; we purchased one (Vespin II, the skirted version of the Drake II) ourselves when we remodeled one of our bathrooms a little over a year ago, and it is the best toilet we ever have had in a home. And Toto has been in the North American marketplace for some time, so a lot of Americans have heard of and owned and used Totos.

But Inax, Toto's major rival in Japan, designs and makes toilets that are every bit as good as Toto toilets, and some would argue that some Inax models are better than their Toto counterparts. Inax (which got its start early in the 20th century with an American connection when Frank Lloyd Wright wanted a custom specialty tile made for a major commission for a building in Japan) only recently has begun to establish a North American toehold, so you will not see as much discussion of Inax as of Toto; but those who have bought and used Inax toilets are just as enthusiastic as those who sing praises of their Totos. (Both Toto and Inax use American-sourced internals: flapper valves, etc., in their North American models, so parts availability is not a problem with either.)

No doubt that janesylvia would be happy with a Toto; but she would be every bit as happy, maybe even happier, with, say, an Inax Dover one-piece or the less expensive two-piece Inax Rio Grande, which can be had in a dual flush configuration.

Here is a link that might be useful: . . . which looks like this.

• janesylvia
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Dianne47, thank you very much for your information and the link, very helpful.

Lascatx, thank you very much for sharing your experience of Kohler.

Herring_maven, thank you so much for your information on Toto and especially Inax. Inax toilets have many varieties and look very nice, and some look better than Toto. But there is no showroom near my home. Hopefully, it will be more popular in the near future.

• kmcg
    11 years ago

herring maven - I hope you're right about Inax's quality! After reading so many of your very convincing posts about them, I went out and bought an Inax Cedar yesterday. It looked great in the showroom, and I couldn't find any negative reviews, so I took the plunge when I found one on closeout at a plumbing supply showroom. We had a Toto dual flush toilet installed temporarily, and I just wasn't that thrilled with it. So it's nice to have an eco-friendly single flush option that sounds like it will work well. It's a relief to have another decision made!

• herring_maven
    11 years ago

kmcg: "I hope you're right about Inax's quality!"

Inax's QC is very high, as you will see.

"After reading so many of your very convincing posts about them, I went out and bought an Inax Cedar yesterday."

"... so many ..."? Have I mentioned Inax that often?

• kmcg
    11 years ago

I've seen maybe a dozen or more when searching for Inax, but you've commented more on the advanced seats than on whole toilets. Very helpful, so thank you.