Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Right height for marble threshold?

Posted by mollyshumom (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 29, 07 at 18:16

Our contractor installed marble thresholds in two new baths adjoining bedrooms. However, we have stubbed our toes and tripped several times already when we entered the new bathrooms. Ouch! It seems to me that difference between the wooden bedroom floors and the marble threshold is too great, although it seems to be fine on the bathroom side of the threshold. I am worried that one of us is going to fall. We could probably train ourselves to step up, but I would worry about our guests. What is the appropriate height of a threshold?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Right height for marble threshold?

It should be about 3/8", give or take, above the face of the tile. Although many installers will set it up so as to be flush with the floors inside and out, that's actually incorrect. The whole reason marble thresholds were traditionally used in the first place were to act as a small dam, in case of things like the toilet backing up, or whatever. It's SUPPOSED to stick up.

o

The marble threshold is sticking up 1" above the floor, which I think is why we are tripping.

o

Sounds like they may have set it on top of the tile, which is wrong.

o

"difference between the wooden bedroom floors and the marble threshold is too great, although it seems to be fine on the bathroom side of the threshold"

Your contractor probably increased the height of your bathroom subfloor floor (which was probably 1/2") by adding plywood, thinset, a backerboard, more thinset, and then the tile. Be glad he did the installation correctly. This is creating the height difference between the rooms. You will eventually stop tripping over it. With remodeling...this happens.

o

I agree. I missed that statement in the original post.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here