Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Carrara Marble Countertop - HELP gray shadows appearing

Posted by Cari_Schaefer (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 17, 12 at 17:54

Finally getting to the end of our bathroom remodel! Our carrara marble countertop was installed about 2 1/2 weeks ago. Noticed yesterday that there are several gray spots that appear to be coming up through the stone:( Trying to be patient & waiting for a call back from installer. Anyone out there experience this with marble? Is it moisture coming up & will it evaporate? Almost looks kind of oily. Read on line that sometimes if the wrong adhesive is used this can happen but I cant find out if it will go away on its own or if the countertop would need to be replaced. Talk of both possibilities but no real answers. HELP?!?!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Carrara Marble Countertop - HELP gray shadows appearing

My old carrara vanity top had that. I found that it was from soaps, and it looked oily to me to (mostly underneath the soap dispenser). Unfortunately, I never really got rid of it until I pitched the vanity top. But it was old and already there when I moved it. If it had been sealed originally, I'm sure it would have been a little better off, but, as you know, still not bullet proof or impervious.

If you haven't yet used it, then it's gotta be something with the installation.

o

KevinMP-thank you for your response. Bathroom has had no use from us yet. To make matters worse this is the 2nd counter top that the fabricator has had to fabricate for us because they messed up the first one beyond repair:(
Not sure how the fabricator is going to want to handle this issue. I have to assume it is coming up from under the counter & has to do with the installation. Ick!

o

picture of spots = looks almost like round shadows

o

Will have to work on getting image to upload tomorrow:( Not working for me tonight.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here