Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best vanity lighting?

Posted by gina_w (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 26, 12 at 17:54

So, what makes enough light for a small master bathroom? I will have a 78" double vanity and I haven't decided whether to have two light fixtures above each sink above a long mirror the width of the vanity. Or have two mirrors with both overhead fixtures as well as three sconce lights on the sides and in between the mirrors. Or just the sconces?

(I am planning for two small recessed cans in the shower and something above the bath tub as well.)

Do side-sconces help and is the light adequate and flattering?

(It's always these smaller items like light fixtures and faucets and towel rods that drive me up a wall - tiles and cabs and other big decisions are much easier! But I know the details count a lot in the overall scheme.)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best vanity lighting?

I will be watching - currently we have the long mirror and lights over both sinks - same length vanity and just starting to think about plans.

o

I would do separate framed mirrors with a fixture above each OR wall sconces on either side...but not both. Side sconces tend to be more flattering.

Also consider putting a recessed can over the pot for readers.

o

The ceiling is exposed beams, so I can't do recessed cans. I will have a drop ceiling above the shower so I can put two 4-inch cans and a fan in there. To put a light over the toilet it would have to be a wall fixture. But DH and I aren't pot readers, LOL!

o

I'm only a homeowner but ...
it depends some on what you do. We have a 60 inch vanity and just got a frosted white warm low energy fluorescent ceiling light, which will about disappear into the ceiling. There are also two LED cans by the toilet/shower end, which are almost bright enough for the whole room. Our white tile will reflect the light around the room, and I'm past the makeup stage anyway. We may add sconces when the budget recovers, but for us, this was a good place to skimp.

o

Lyvia, most here are "only" homeowners. I'm afraid you'll have to pry the Estee Lauder out of my hands! I do like well-lit rooms - not over lit like a lab but not dim at all.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here