Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pupwhipped

Subway grout color...love, hate, just okay?

pupwhipped
15 years ago

Could you please tell me what grout color you used with your subway tiles? Do you love it, hate it, or is it just okay? I'm specifically interested in those of you who have used white subways. My tiles in my shower are American Olean Ice White...probably about as white as you can get. I THINK Daltile's Gloss White is similar. I will have white hex tiles from AO on the floor of the shower and bathroom. They are white but not as white as the Ice White color. I think I would like a darker color grout for the hex tiles then for the subways.

If possible, could you please tell me the specific color and BRAND of grout you used? So far I've looked at Mapei and Prism charts. Needless to say, I'm confused and my head is spinning. My bath is about halfway tiled now and it's lookin pretty good. I would hate to ruin it with the wrong grout. Oh, and of course, I would love any upclose pics of your grout if you have them.

Thank you very much to anyone who reads or replies.

pupwhipped

Comments (12)

• cat_mom
    15 years ago

We'll be using Tec's Bright White grout with Daltile's Modern Dimensions glossy white tiles.

• sf_treat
    15 years ago

We are using PolyBlend #381 Bright White 4.54Kg Nonsanded Grout for the subway, which are Daltile Matte Arctic White. For the Hexagon, we are using Tex-Rite grouts in executive gray. It all goes in Monday, so I will tell you how it goes.

• lauren674
    15 years ago

We used unsanded Laticrete Smoke Grey for both our hex tile floor and the Daltile subway wall color K101 (not the artic white). This is a med/light grey grout that defines the tile. It came out looking just as we imagined it would.

Here is a link that might be useful: Laticrete Smoke Gray

• pupwhipped
    Original Author
    15 years ago

THANK YOU SO MUCH cat mom, sf treat, and lauren674. I'll admit I have not heard of Tec's brand, nor Tex-Rite. PolyBlend rings a bell, and I do know of Laticrete. Thank you lauren674 for the picture. As I've said in other posts, a picture is worth a thousand words. That looks really nice. I just can't decide if I want to accentuate the brick pattern I have, or hide it with a more matching grout. I have subways in my shower and on the opposing wall I have 6X6 tiles also in a brick/staggered pattern.

SF treat, let me know how your grout turns out. And now, thinking about it, I meant to say that AO Ice White is similar to Daltile's Artic White. I knew Gloss White wasn't sounding quite right? My brain is fried. Over the last nine months we have done a total renovation of this lake home built in 1952. Kitchen expansion and remodel was not fun, but I really think the total gut of this very small bathroom has been the hardest. It's really "eatin my lunch." I can't wait to be done...and over it.

Thanks again to you all for responding.

pup

• lauren674
    15 years ago

Pup, I relate to what you are saying because our tiny little bathroom was the biggest job we've ever done out of many updates and improvements on this old house. Its incredible how many decisions have to be made with regards to materials and fixtures. There was lots of 2nd guessing and wondering how it would look and fit since the bathroom is so unusually narrow. Now that it is completed, we are enjoying it and very happy with all the choices made along the way.

Laticrete has a much lighter grey grout called 'silver shadow' I believe that you would like if unsure about white.

I'm going to load up a few last pictures of the wall hardware and call it 'done' today.

• budge1
    15 years ago

Pupwhipped, we used custom's platinum grout and really like the little bit of contrast it gives with the white. I also had a box of Mapei's silver grey and used that to do a bit of patching in one not obvious corner and it was almost a perfect match for the platinum.

• sf_treat
    15 years ago

UGH! Now I am so confused. I swear I read and read this forum when we are NOT remodeling, and then I forget about it when we are. Also, DH started this bathroom on a whim, so my decisions have been fast and furious. I am rethinking the Bright White and want to do a light gray for the subway tiles. Does anyone know if I do the same color for the hex and subway, or is that too matchy-matchy?
    Is anyone familiar with Tex-Rite executive gray?

• lauren674
    15 years ago

Well, originally I bought a darker gray for the floor hex but then because of the really bad color marks on the bag, used the lighter one in error. Fortunately, we liked it a lot so it was an good mistake.

Then we realized that using the same grout color on the floor and the wall would make it much easier to grout with no concerns if any of the wall grout color got on any of the floor grout.

So ours are the same, and I'm glad.

• budge1
    15 years ago

We also did the same on both and really like it.

• pupwhipped
    Original Author
    15 years ago

SF Treat, just curious if you have grouted your tile yet and what you used? I want to say thanks again to all who responded to my question. We've had a tragedy in our family, so things have not progressed much in my bath. I've got to get back on track and finish up before I run out of enthusiasm.

pup

• bluekitobsessed
    15 years ago

I missed this question during the election frenzy. When I asked the same question on the kitchens forum pre-grouting, several people responded with "light gray." Here's a pic of my kitchen using Daltile's basic white tile and Polyblend grout mix, Platinum color. Hope that helps.