Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Good inexpensive toilet?

Posted by harriethomeowner (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 21, 09 at 17:03

I posted this question on the plumbing forum but have had no responses yet, so thought I'd post here, too.

We want to replace the 60-year-old toilet in our basement bathroom. It actually works, but it's not efficient with water, and the bowl is heavily stained. (I don't think it's cleanable anymore.)

It probably won't get a whole lot of use, though I hope more than it does now. What are some good models that would be reasonable replacements? What's a reasonable amount to spend?

TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Good inexpensive toilet?

What do you mean by inexpensive? You can get some excellent ones for under $200, maybe a lot less. Can you suggest an amount you don't want to exceed?

o

I want to spend the least I need to spend to get something that's not going to need replacing before I die or sell the house, whichever comes first (probably the latter, since I'm 52).

This is just not one of those things you buy every day, so I'm not up on what they cost. Poking around on the 'net, it seems they start at around $200 or so and go up into the stratosphere.

I saw some good comments about the American Standard Cadet 3. And Totos. Just wondered if anyone here had specific recommendations . . .

o

AS Cadet 3, around $200, will do the job effectively, efficiently, easily available.

o

I'm partial to Toto, and they have an excellent model, the Toto Drake, that goes for about $240. Toto is the only brand of the many toilets I've owned that has never needed plunging. Here is a link to a plumbing site that has toilet reviews.

Here is a link that might be useful: Love Plumbing

o

How about an inexpensive, Home Depot Eljer? We purchased one from HD a few years ago and it hasn't clogged once. It does, however, need frequent cleaning. Right now, it's 1 of 2 toilets in our house... the only one on the 2nd floor by the bedrooms. It's used 5-8 times a day and it gets dirtier than the Kohler that's used more and clogs all the time.

o

We got a Kohler W...(can't remember the name, but started with W) at HD for $130 or so and it works great. Not bottom of the line by any means.

o

"the 60-year-old toilet in our basement bathroom. It actually works, but it's not efficient with water"

Lowe's & Home Depot carry a wide variety of efficient, low cost - toilets.

To make virtually any toilet even more efficient and water saving - might I suggest the following item. Add it to your new low cost, water efficient toilet. Most reviews state extremely easy to install. Makes it a dual flush

Here is a link that might be useful: Make it a Dual Flush

o

We installed Kohler Wellworths (from Home Depot) in our previous home and were VERY VERY pleased with them.

o

We just returned from Israel where EVERY toilet (whether it was in a luxury hotel/restaurant or a public park) had that dual flush thing. I had never seen it before and thought it was brilliant. I had no idea that it was available here. Very interesting!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here