Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
a2gemini_gw

Rachiele copper sinks

a2gemini
10 years ago

Has anyone used a rachiele copper sink in their bathroom?
I have been reading about the benefits of copper but am not sure about going this route.
I am not very good about taking care of cleaning sinks on a daily basis.
Good idea or crazy?
Thanks

Comments (5)

• enduring
    10 years ago

What about getting a cast iron Kohler sink in a beautiful color. I have heard from many that the copper is "a living finish" and I am sure you have too. I would think if you cleaned the sink on a daily basis the sink would be sort of coppery all the time. But if your like me and it is hit or miss, I would think the sink would show more oxidation and be more of a mottled look. But my only experience with copper is with pennys :)

I should ask what sort of "look" are you going for with your bathroom?

• christine40
    10 years ago

A2!! so glad your master bath project is closer to starting! We are hoping to get back in our bath after 6weeks! Shower glass goes in tomorrow!! I love love copper sinks, but I am not sure if I could live with one! I even went quartz in this bathroom (I am really a "natural stone" kind of girl!) But did it for ease of cleaning!! So far I love my cambria waverton vanity top!!

I think a copper sink in the bathroom would be so beautiful, but you need to think about whether or not you can live with the upkeep! I look forward to the design you pull together as your kitchen is beautiful!

• kai615
    10 years ago

I don't own a Rachiele, but seriously looked into one for my kitchen. The only reason I did not buy, is that I could not work copper into the rest of my kitchen design. From my understanding Rachiele sinks are much different from every other copper sink out there as far as upkeep. They don't have some sort of sealant over it that can be ruined if you don't dry the sink out after each use or something stupid like that. You actual just use it like a sink. I even emailed them concerned that I do a lot of canning of vinegar oriented items that would be poured down my drain (vinegar and patina'd copper do not mix well) and their answer was that it would change the patina as it is a living finish, but it would change back to the original patina in time, if I did not want to wait for it to change back I could use the kit they send with the sink to change it back myself.

I assume you will not be pouring tons of vinegar based sauces and brines down your bathroom drain therefor you should have absolutely no upkeep on it. I say if copper is what you are going for as far as looks (and they have so many great patinas), go for it.

I am a research fanatic and got tons of good reviews from the good folks from the kitchen forum here on GW on the Rachiele sinks. If you google Rachiele sinks Gardenweb, you can read a bunch of reviews on them and see a bunch of them used in kitchens.

• a2gemini
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have not even started the design yet - I am considering copper for the anti microbial properties.

Enduring - if I don't go copper - will get some kind of cast iron sink - I know I don't want corian for a sink.

Christine - I will have to spend more time on this forum - can't wait to see yours

Kali - I remember someone on kitchens spelling out Happy Birthday to her daughter (might have been Poohpup) to show what happens and then it goes back in time.

I have lots of time on this one...Unlike the kitchen, where I didn't discover GW until after I signed on the plan and cabinets...

• kai615
    10 years ago

Lots of time with GW can be good and bad. I am redoing the whole house and in the middle of a bath and kitchen DIY with GW changing my mind almost daily. Having a contract signed at least gets you moving forward ;-)

Sponsored
Fairfax Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars53 Reviews
DC Area's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Experts