Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How did you minimize/eliminate grout in your home?

Posted by ynnej (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 31, 11 at 16:42

I am on a no-grout mission! The less grout, the better. How did you minimize grout in your bathroom?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How did you minimize/eliminate grout in your home?

web search for kerlite and post again.

o

Don't use tile. :-)

o

12"x12" or larger natural stone (granite or marble) or rectified porcelain tiles, 1/16" spacing and non-sanded grout. With a grout that matches the tile, the grout lines are very unobtrusive - 1/16" is a narrow line, I think it's what's recommended for tile counters.

I love tile, so that's what I gravitate towards for BRs, but I do have 1 powder room with a wood laminate floor that looks great, wears like iron and is very easy to clean. Lots of non-tile options if you really don't want grout. I like the look of grout 'setting off' certain tiles, though, so the grout lines in my home range from 1/16" - 3/8", depending on the location/use/tile. the narrower spacing is definitely easier to keep looking pristine.

o

Thank you! Kerlite looks interesting, I've never heard of it before. I wasn't able to find much information on it, though. I love the look of tile as well. I've never had to clean tile with 1/16 spacing like you've described. My mother has it in her shower and it always seems dirty to me (and they have a maid come once a week... should you have mildew and dirty grout if you have a maid?) Well, I've gotten off subject. Thanks for the responses!

o

look for tile that goes together like laminate flooring. floating, no adhesive used.

no grout. It has been used on hgtv lately several times.

o

Ditto on the no grout/caulking. For our steam shower we used stonecraft. I think similar products go by different names (I.e. Jewelstone). Looks like tile/ no actual grout lines. We've had it for 4mos now and it's been great!

o

I used 24" rectified, through bodied tiles with matching colored unsanded grout for my kitchen countertop. I have pictures in my kitchen blog if you would like to see. I am very pleased with it and I have been leaning toward doing the same for my bathroom countertops, especially since I have enough leftover tile. However, it was not easy working with the large tile and small grout lines. There were many tiles wasted, but it was still way cheaper than granite or corian.

I'm leaning away from using tile on the walls above the bathtub, because I like to spray down the walls with vinegar after I shower, and vinegar is corrosive for grout. So, I will probably get some sort of solid wall panels. I have faux marble panels now, and although they aren't the current style, they are very easy to clean.

Here is a link that might be useful: my kitchen blog

o

look for tile that goes together like laminate flooring. floating, no adhesive used.
no grout. It has been used on hgtv lately several times.

I would NOT use that in a bathroom. I'd be afraid that water would get underneath it and destroy not only the new floor, but the subfloor as well. I'm with weedyacres on this. THe only way to go grout free is not to use tile. To minimize it, as others have said, rectified porcelain, or natural stone is the way to go.

o

epoxy grout is different. It might please the OP.

o

Agreed.

o

An acrylic or fiberglass one-piece tub or shower module that includes the three surrounding walls plus the shower pan or bathtub. A cinch to keep clean, no caulk or grout lines anywhere. Armrests, soap dishes, and handles are built in. The better ones look quite nice. Note that 2- or 3-piece versions are available if you can't fit a one-piece unit into your bathroom and you don't wan't to temporarily remove part of a wall.

For flooring you can use sheet vinyl, or in some cases laminate, although I'm fine with larger ceramic tiles for flooring.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here