Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bathtub Granite Slab Overhang

Posted by asharding (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 22, 13 at 16:40

How much of a lip should there be a the granite slab tub deck? This is the edge that would hang over the side wall of the tub.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bathtub Granite Slab Overhang

It's discretionary. I'd want at least an inch, but 2 probably wouldn't look bad.

o

I think you you can go from 1" minimum to 2" max depending on your preference . I have 1.5" . You need the overhang so that if there is water dripping from the tub , it won't come on the wood panel .

o

We're doing a slab on the side and on the top. The tub will be undermounted.

What's the minimum overhang to hid the seam where the two pieces join together? Will 1/2" look right?

o

Can you do a mock up with a couple boards? In a small bathroom you'd always be looking down on it so you only need enough to keep drips from running down the outside of the tub. Instead those drips will hit the bathmat or rug you have there, right? If you'll be looking at it while sitting on the toilet across the room, or while lying in bed in the next room you might see the caulked seam unless you have more overhang. I'd go with more rather than less.

-Babka

o

Overhang will not prevent drips from running down the edge, back across the overhang and down the front of the tub/cabinet.

If you're worried about this, have your fabricator cut a 1/8"x1/8" drip slot on the underside of the granite just behind the edge profile. The water can't jump the slot and will hit the floor instead.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here