Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chloenkitty_gw

Tile disaster in new build

chloenkitty
9 years ago

It was suggested in home dec forum I bring this to the tile experts in the bathroom forum, so here is goes and thank you.

I purchased a cararra marble mosaic floor tile for the powder room in my new build. The builder recently installed it and I am not happy with it at all. It was not cleaned much after being grouted it and it had dirt on it and was walked on. It was never sealed even though I asked it to be right away, therefore, the dirt and scratches are obvious. some of the tile is uneven and lifted, you could stub your toe on it. Some grout lines are much wider than others and I'm just not happy with it. I don't know what to do. There are some areas where I cannot get the grout off the tile at all. I was thinking of giving the builder a chance to correct it but I don't know if scratched marble tile can be corrected. And what about the pieces of the tile that are sticking up higher than others? Once something like this is tiled I cant imagine being able to get just a piece here or there wedged out of the floor. Would a high-gloss sealer help it look better if the builder can get the grout up and it properly cleaned? Perhaps I have no choice but to have him take it out and replace it. If so, can someone recommend a polished porcelain Carrara in. 12x12 or 18x18 (or similar) I'm concerned.
In the pic I'm attaching, you can see all the flubs. Pieces of the petals (it's like a flower motif) not straightened properly on the mesh so the grout is wider hardened, messy grout, improper cuts, etc. Thank you

Comments (13)

• chloenkitty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is another pic. Is is possible for him to dig out some of the bad pieces? I know how hard this dries and am afraid it's permanent and will all have to come out.

• chloenkitty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

In this pic, where the light from the window hits the floor, you can see how it's scratched

• dekeoboe
    9 years ago

Some grout lines are much wider than others

You mentioned that this tile came on a mesh sheet. Do you have any sheets of the tile left? If so, are the grout lines even? Many times the fault is how the tile was applied to the mesh and the only way to get even grout lines would be for the tile setter to remove pieces of the tile from the mesh and hand set them.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

I'll bet a good floor refinisher could grind the high ones flush and polish it all.

• Debbi Branka
    9 years ago

DeKeoboe - My tile guy does remove each piece and hand set them. I thought any tile setter that was good would do that. Maybe just the amazing ones :)

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

deb, I have no doubt your tile guy does that, but I'm sure you also paid for that, rather than for someone who just uses the tile-on-mesh-as-delivered. Just think about the time involved.

• dementm
    9 years ago

That is an extremely beautiful floor. Scratches can be dealt with. You could have someone come in and grind it down to make it more even and then repolish it. Won't be easy to remove individual pieces without damaging areas around them but mosaics are not necessarily designed to be perfect. It is really a stunning floor.

• loves2read
    9 years ago

It is a lovely floor--
    good luck but think your builder should have to pay another professional to make the repairs--
    would you trust him to do it correctly...

• Vertise
    9 years ago

I, too, would look into a grind and polish. Pretty floor!

• chiefneil
    9 years ago

Floor refinisher is the way to go. Our builder did it as a matter of course for our natural stone floors. The travertine that was buffed came out amazing - absolutely zero lippage, dead flat and a smooth silky feel.

• llcp93
    9 years ago

Sorry about your issues you are having but wanted say that your floor is absolutely stunning.

• itltrot
    9 years ago

I'm with zoo. Sorry to hear about the problems but the floor is gorgeous. Hope you find a way to keep it.

• RhettDrive
    9 years ago

Your choice of flooring was wonderful. I would absoulutely have the builder arrang AND PAY FOR the corrective action of sand/polish if that will correct the problems.
    We are almost done with our new build and the builder fired the tile guy after he laid the entire bath floor & 1/2 of the 11ft shower due to poor install. She also made him remove the shotty work & tile guy will have to buy tile replacements.
    Hope your builder does the right thing!