Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tile Grout Question. Bill V? Others?

Posted by beekeeperswife (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 3, 12 at 16:00

I know I'm talking about my kitchen back splash, but the tile experts are here.

What kind of grout does one use to not end up with grout that looks like cement? Very rough. Last kitchen we used Permacolor. It truly was bright white, and I figured that the rough look was just the product. But I just made up a sample board using a light gray (Tec Silverado) and it looks like concrete. Is there anything that is more, "shiney" or smooth?

And while I'm at it, I want the color to be a pale gray, very soft. I'm doing the white arabesque tiles (again). Do you know if Tec Silverado or the Laticrete's Silver Shadow is a better choice?

Thanks so much.

Bee

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tile Grout Question. Bill V? Others?

Sanded grout, which has...tada...sand in it...is used in grout joints 1/8" and wider. The sand is a bulk filler. It minimizes shrikage cracking as the grout cures. The particles of sand will often give sanded grout a rougher texture than unsanded.

Unsanded grout is made of a finer particulate, no sand filler, in general it is smoother. But it's for joints smaller than 1/8".

While there are varying degrees of "smooth", sanded doesn't always have to be rough-rough like coarse sand paper. Some of the finer particles can be washed away when too much water, or too heavy a hand with the sponge, is used during clean up. Or the finer particles can be dissolved away by acid cleaners, leaving a rougher surface.

Epoxies will be smooth.

I'm not terribly familiar with Tec. But I've never had a problem with Laticrete.

o
RE: Tile Grout Question. Bill V? Others?

thanks mongo.

We used Laticrete Permacolor the last time I did this tile in the old house. And it was very rough. But, since it was white it was ok. But if I'm doing a light gray this time, I don't want it to look like cement. But we haven't decided if we are doing gray or white.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here