Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shower: Acrylic finish vs Porcelain tile

Posted by maggiema (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 30, 10 at 15:51

HELP ME WITH MY SHOWER!
I am renovating my Master bath which has a 48" shower stall, no tub. A major concern is upkeep - I really want to select material that will be easy to clean. If I use porcelain ceramic tile I will use an off white/gray grout so it will hold up better over time. The tile lady said that tile is easier to clean than acrylic because it is less porous, but she has a vested interest in selling it.
If I go with acrylic, it will be a white, one piece unit. When it is new it will look nice and pristine, but what will it take to keep it clean? Toilet and sink will also be white.
With either option I will be installing frameless glass across the front and down half a side to make a small bathroom appear more spacious.
Does anybody have firsthand knowledge to share?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shower: Acrylic finish vs Porcelain tile

It really comes down to aesthetics. If upkeep is a major overriding factor to looks, then go with the acrylic because if you can get an acrylic, one-piece unit into the space, it will be easier to clean than the tile. There is nothing porous about it. Years ago, I put an single piece Aquaglass unit into a rental apartment, and my tenant loves it--no grout, no caulk in the wet area. But I'm wondering if you can get a one-piece unit in the configuration you describe. You mention a half wall on one side?

When I remodeled my own master bath, I installed ceramic tile with glass accents on the walls because it is prettier than acrylic and will definitely make a difference when it comes to resale in this area. As a concession to maintenance, I chose to go with an acrylic base that matches the garden tub next to the shower.

In either case, to make cleaning easier, make sure to include a hand shower among the fixtures or as the showerhead if you are only installing one.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here