Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dahoov2

Material for Bench top?

dahoov2
9 years ago

I'm adding an addition onto my house, with one of the rooms being a master bathroom. I have put into my design an L shaped built in bench, where we can sit to put socks on etc. My question is about the material for the bench top. It's a damp room.... any suggestions for the bench top? I kind of wanted a cushion of some sort but worried about mold etc. Or should I just do a hard surface like the vanity top (that would be expensive). That's pretty much the last detail I need. I could save this for the end months from now, but I will need to factor in tile/marble for ordering and cost analysis or whatever if I can't do a soft top.

Comments (5)

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

Do it out of cabinetry so there is drawer storage below (like a banquette) and add a cushion from Sunbrella or other exterior grade fabric. Be sure to factor in good ventilation to the outside, as it's the lack of air circulation that leads to mold more than the damp conditions.

• dahoov2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the name; I just looked it up and it looks like good material. I don't want plastic feeling cushions. What about the innards? Should I be concerned about that? Thanks for the response!

PS Yes, I planned on doing a banquette out of same cabinetry.

• vpierce
    9 years ago

I did a cushion out of Sunbrella fabric for our bathroom bench about a year and a half ago and it's holding up great.

• Olychick
    9 years ago

Use real, natural foam rubber and you should have no problems with mold. Lots of the Sunbrella and some other outdoor fabrics have a really soft feel.

There is a lot of info online about different types of foam. Here is one...

Here is a link that might be useful: Natural foam rubber

• dahoov2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks guys! Appreciated. This is stuff I never thought about before so I'm glad I came here and found people who have used the stuff and had ideas! Thanks!!!!

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm