Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mesh markings on new honed marble hex tile

Posted by kristinag (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 14, 13 at 15:33

I am new to this, but am hoping to get some advice on my tile dilemma. I recently ordered 2 inch hex tile in honed marble from the builder depot. A tile setter has placed the tile, but there are markings from the mesh of the sheet that was in top of the other during packaging. The mesh was covered by plastic sheets, but that didn't keep it from transferring to the tile below. I have tried water and a light scotch bright pad to remove it without luck. The company admits to having heard of such a problem but just goes on to say the tile setters clean it to remove the markings prior to sealing it. My tile setter would like me to clean them with mineral spirits then rinse then with water. He has never seen this happen before, and so is guessing along with me as what to try. He doesn't plan on sealing the tile until after grouting because we are using a light grey sanded grout. Any thoughts or ideas are very much appreciated. I don't want to ruin my new floors before they are even in!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mesh markings on new honed marble hex tile

I am not an expert, but I would ask the supplier for cleaning recommendations first since they admitted they have heard of the problem. I would start with the most gentle method first - maybe just simple soap, then maybe alcohol, acetone, then mineral spirits. I wonder if a magic eraser would work? Regardless of what you try, I would try cleaning the marks off some pieces that haven't been installed yet, just in case.

Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in.

Best of luck to you!!

o

I could be that once the thinset is totally dry the pattern will disappear.

I used marble tiles in a mesh mosaic and had those marks. I didn't notice them right away. But I washed mine with dish soap and rinsed them, the whole panels before installation, once I saw what was going on. I noticed that when my tiles were wet the pattern showed even after washing, but once dried it disappeared. I think the moist marble tiles becomes translucent, yet the glued areas resist the moisture more, so there is a dryer grid work that shows up. Just a guess.

Finished mosiac that often showed grid marks when wet (not sure if this section did or not but probably, I just had to start ignoring it :)
listello from The Tile Shop, Hampton mosaic photo IMG_3920_zpsbd462141.jpg

o

kris
Can you send a picture.
Just making sure these mosaics haven't been set yet?
They came out of the box that way.
You may have to use a light abrasive.
At production they probably box this product partially wet.
So like you said(white marbles are very porous)the material of the mesh transferred. I think some light honing will take care of this.

o

This happened to our entire lot of marble tile for the foyer and hallway. We had to send them back to the supplier (Paris Ceramics), they honed them and the marks came off.

o

I'd try a red Scotch-Brite pad in an inconspicuous area.

o

Late update: I believe the markings are gone, well at least I don't notice them. We scrubbed them using a 3m pad and mineral spirits and rinsed well. I am considering purchasing 3 x 6 marble for wainscot, but am reluctant based on my experiences.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here