Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
themarinmaven

Small Bathroom Remodel

themarinmaven
9 years ago

My Bathroom Remodel
is underway. Our bathroom was a hot mess. It was not fit for before pics. Shiny mosaic tile on the floors and counters with white grout. The shower was this shiny white 2x2 tile with the blue mosaic tile accents. We called it the blue bathroom. Oh, I almost forgot to tell you about the blue striped wallpaper. I HATE wallpaper. The cabinets were oak and so was the vanity light.

I got all the wallpaper off and all of the fixtures and the guys got to work. So far I am extremely pleased.

The idea is to get matte tile with narrower grout lines. I love they color gray, so when I found plank tile in gray it came in a warm gray that informed the colors I am using. I tried lots of gray paint, but I found I loved Benjamin Moore Cedar Key because it went with the tile I picked. Picking a greige seemed to me to provide a warm sophistication to the bathroom. The overall colors are gray, greige, cream, charcoal, and satin nickel.

We are going to replace the vanity with a 42" kraftmaid Dove White Biscayne Montclair with a zircon Quartz countertop. The countertop is cream with grey marbling.

The fixtures and shower are from Pottery Barn. Will post pics as we go along.

Comments (62)

• themarinmaven
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Style Selections Mitte White Italian porcelain tile and Galvino Charcoal mosaic tile in the shower. Also, Subway in Leonia Silver that matches the flooring.

• themarinmaven
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Laying down the floors of 6 x 24 Leonia Silver Italian porcelain plank tile.

• themarinmaven
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Detail of floor after applying Natural Gray grout.

• themarinmaven
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Watermark Stratford 321 Lavatory Faucet Hot/Cold Handles Satin Nickle 321-2.

• themarinmaven
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Zircon Quartz vanity countertop.

• themarinmaven
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Moen Asheville Shower kit.

• themarinmaven
    Original Author
    9 years ago

In progress

Here is a link that might be useful: Bathroom Remodel on Pinterest

• themarinmaven
    Original Author
    9 years ago

In progress

• themarinmaven
    Original Author
    9 years ago

In progress...the knob for the vanity

• themarinmaven
    Original Author
    9 years ago

In progress

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I'm glad you got the picture posting figured out :)

Your vanity light and mirror are going to look great together. Can you give us the info on them?

• themarinmaven
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The vanity light is a Portfolio D&C 4 light Brushed nickel Bathroom vanity light that I got at Lowes. I picked up these Portfolio 5-1/8-in Frosted Opal Vanity Light Glass also at Lowes. The Mirror is Pottery Barn X-Large Fixed Rectangular Kensington mirror in Satin Nickel. Tomorrow they are going to have to make electrical adjustments to make room for the mirror.

• themarinmaven
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Watermark Stratford 321 Lavatory Faucer hot/cold handles in Satin Nickel bought on Ebay. Denova Zircon quartz countertop. Benjamin Moore Cedar Key Bath & Spa matte paint.

• themarinmaven
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Moen Ashville Rain Showerhead kit in Brushed Nickel with spot resist.

• themarinmaven
    Original Author
    9 years ago

View of a bathroom in progress.

• themarinmaven
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The vanity with knobs and faucet.

• themarinmaven
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Vanity knob detail.

• themarinmaven
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Vanity knob detail

• themarinmaven
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kohler Memoirs Stately Elongated Toilet in Ice Gray with Leonia Silver Italian Porcelain plank floor tile. Benjamin Moore Cedar Key Bath & Spa paint on walls with Benjamin Moore White Dove Bath & Spa paint on baseboards and trim.

• themarinmaven
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My reveal of the remodel post keeps disappearing. So if you want to see more go to my Pinterest page which doesn't lose photos.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Remodel Page on Pinterest

• themarinmaven
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Pottery Barn Train Rack

• themarinmaven
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Cream, Gray, Greige, Satin Nickel, and accents of green glass.

• themarinmaven
    Original Author
    9 years ago

New Kohler Memoirs Stately elongated toilet in ice gray and Pottery Barn Train rack.

• themarinmaven
    Original Author
    9 years ago

View from the shower.

• themarinmaven
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Shower curtain.

• themarinmaven
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another view of the train rack from Pottery Barn.

• themarinmaven
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The great Pottery Barn magazine rack and toilet paper holder.

• themarinmaven
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hotei brings zen to the bathroom.

• themarinmaven
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lemon Verbana soap on a Satin Nickel soap dish. Yellow pops in a gray/greige/nickel/cream bath.

• themarinmaven
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Stone shower floor from Lowes.

• themarinmaven
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Moen Ashville Shower kit.

• themarinmaven
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Shower stall with Pottery Barn Evan Stripe Shower Curtain. The curtain isn't available anymore.

• themarinmaven
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mouthwash station. Instead of an ugly mouthwash bottle, I found this on Ebay.

• themarinmaven
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Shower controls.

• llcp93
    9 years ago

GREAT job! Very elegant room. How do you like your floor tile? I couldn't make up my mind for our shower redo between your look (can't recall what they call that) in Torreon Travertine and the Versailles pattern. My DH chose Versailles but every time I see someone's shower done with the cut stone, I really like it and am second guessing our choice.

• themarinmaven
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Our Leonia Silver 6 x 24 Italian Porcelain plank floors from Lowes.

• themarinmaven
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think the planks laid out this way create the illusion of the bathroom being longer than it is despite being so very small.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    9 years ago

Love the shower floor. You've really thought about everything here.

Question for you: Did you have any trouble with the Leonia tile? I've often seen tile I liked in the Style Selections brand, but I've been afraid of it because I've heard of so many people having trouble because it isn't true along the edges.

• themarinmaven
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks zookeeper93! I am sure Travertine would be lovely. I tried out our shower last night and I have to say the flat stone tile was a great experience. It brings in nature, but a lot of natural stone does that to some extent.

At the planning stages I got in my head I wanted plank flooring in the bathroom. Initially I wanted all laminate gray wood flooring.

Then I found plank tile, and when we went to Lowes I found Style Selections Leonia Silver 6 x 24 Porcelain tile. Across from the Style Selections tile, I found a bin of stone tile. I settled with the gray river rock that fits the gray theme. When the river rock is wet it matches the charcoal mosaic from Style Selection and when it is dry it is closer to the Leonia Silver subway tile.

Another important decision I made was the natural gray tile grout. I was inspired by pics that use darker grout and my knowledge of how difficult to keep white grout white. The darker grout brings out all the cool lines of the tile layout. They gray grout also reinforces the gray theme throughout the bathroom.

• themarinmaven
    Original Author
    9 years ago

writersblock, our tile guy did not have any problems. He said that he really liked working with it and it was very nice. To get the staggered look I liked they had to use the tile cutter. Again, he experienced no difficulties. He did the entire job over the weekend while our 10 year old sons played together.

When I read about this tile the criticism I heard was it could break easily and that people had problems matching from different lots of the same tile.

We bought as much as we could from the same lot before the job began. We bought extra tile just in case it broke and to give the tile guy more options.

I drew out how I wanted the tile layout should be, but part of collaborating with a professional is that you have to be prepared to have it be altered by circumstances presented by actually working in the space. I guided him to the effect I wanted to create and was flexible to entertain how to make it better.

I like how it is flat and mat tile because it makes it look more modern.

The tile turned out better than I hoped and the fact it was standard stocked item at Lowes added to the piece of mind.

• themarinmaven
    Original Author
    9 years ago

What I like about the stone tile for the shower floor is that you have this natural variation in every stone. You have random white streaks in the stone, or a more greige color, or lighter or darker shade of gray. I like it because it allows all the other gray elements I add to the bathroom pick something up from them.

My approach is to be too matchy matchy. The satin nickel is what I wanted to have run throughout, but we have different grays from the ice gray toilet to the medium gray grout to the warm silver gray of the plank floor tile.

The Zircon quartz countertop has gray marble, but it you look closely there is greige/gold in there as well so I picked the wall color Cedar Key to pick that up.

Green glass will be consistent throughout.

I love the combination of different creams. Cream on cream. In certain light the Cedar Key becomes a cream color instead of greige.

Nothing is in this bathroom without thinking about how it would effect everything else. Everything has to tie into each other, but it is okay if it is not absolutely obvious match. The Evan gray stripe Pottery Barn shower curtain ties into the ice gray toilet. Part of this philosophy is born when you order stuff from the Internet and the difficulty of knowing the shade is being represented on the computer screen correctly.

• aiallega
    9 years ago

Marin,
    Could you tell me what the darker grey tile on the shower wall is? I'd like to use something like that for my shower floor. Thank you!

• itltrot
    9 years ago

Looks great.

Which brand of grout did you use on the floors?

• themarinmaven
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The dark tile is Style Selections Galvano Charcoal mosaic tile on 12 x12 sheets. I love this tile because I love charcoal as a color, but also it has a very subtle glitter when it hits a certain light.

I used the same grout throughout -Polyblend Natural Gray #9 sanded grout. As you can see from earlier photos it goes down dark, but when it dries it lightens up to this nice medium to light gray.

• themarinmaven
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I got the style selections charcoal tile at Lowes.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

It's pretty, although a bit cluttered for my taste. Also, I think I would have gone with a white toilet to match the sink.

How many people will use this little bath? I like the glass shelves, but would worry about them always being spotted up it with lots of people brushing their teeth in there.

• aiallega
    9 years ago

I appreciate the tile info!

• themarinmaven
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lol, Errant. It is funny you would say it is cluttered since this is the least cluttered bathroom we have had for a long time. I am trying to figure out what to display so it will be functional and lived in but not look cluttered. Suggestions? Is it because I have too many shelves?

We have two tiny bathrooms for a three-four bedroom house (1150 sq ft) we have 2 adults and one 10 year old boy. We have guests stay with us occasionally.

My plan is to have toothpaste in a drawer in a tray so it is off the surface. I wanted to be able to lift things off the counter and I like the glass shelves because they do not overwhelm small bath.

Keeping this clean with the men in my life will be interesting. I may have to send them to the other bathroom if they don't behave.

I know that white or cream color toilet would go with the vanity. I just got in my head that I wanted a darker toilet since the last toilet was white. I wanted a color that I don't see very often and wanted to reinforce the gray. I totally get what you are saying. A white, cream, or ivory toilet would totally work.

• themarinmaven
    Original Author
    9 years ago

ItIltrot - I got the Polyblend Natural Gray #9 sanded grout at Home Depot.

• themarinmaven
    Original Author
    9 years ago

- Moen Ashville shower head kit (Home Depot)
    - Portfolio�D&C 4-Light Brushed Nickel Bathroom Vanity Light (Lowes)
    -Benjamin Moore Cedar Key Spa & Bath paint (wall), Benjamin more Dove White (trim)
    - KraftMaid�Key Biscayne Montclair 42-in x 21-in Dove White Traditional Bathroom Vanity (Lowes)
    - Style Selections 6 x 24 Leonia Silver Glazed Porcelain floor planks (floor)
    - Style Selections 12-in x 12-in Leonia Silver Glazed Porcelain shower accent tiles (Lowes)
    - Style Selections�Galvano Charcoal Glazed Porcelain Mosaic shower accent tiles (Lowes)
    - Style Selections 12-in x 24-in Mitte White Glazed Porcelain Floor Tile (Actuals 24-in x 12-in) (Lowes)
    - Solistone 10-Pack Indonesian Pebbles Balinese Nights Natural Stone Mosaic (shower floor) (Lowes)
    - Watermark Stratford 321 Lavatory Faucet Hot/Cold Handles Satin Nickle (Ebay)
    - Kensington Mirror (Pottery Barn)
    - Zircon natural quartz countertop with white undermounted sink
    - Gray Evan Striped shower curtain (Pottery Barn)
    - Train Rack in Satin Nickel (Pottery Barn)
    - Mercer glass shelves (Pottery Barn)
    - Mercer towel rack (Pottery Barn)
    - Mercer magazine / toilet paper rack (pottery barn)
    - Somerset Knob 1 1/4" - Brushed Satin Nickel & White Ceramic (myknobs.com)
    - Double Corner Shower Caddy (pottery barn)
    - Kohler ice gray Memoirs Stately elongated toilet
    - Harbor Breeze 2-Sone 80-CFM Nickel Bathroom Fan with Light (Lowes)