Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texnan10

Bathroom fixtures

texnan10
9 years ago

We are remodeling our bathrooms and it is time to choose the type of fixtures we want. At first, I thought I wanted Venetian Bronze but after looking at pictures of light colored bathrooms, it seemed like the faucets etc. were jumping off the page and saying "Look at ME."

Are chrome fixtures still current looking...I don't want to remodel and look dated from day one. The other alternative is brushed stainless, but it looks rather dull.

I would appreciate your input.

Comments (9)

• renosarefun
    9 years ago

There are so many different finishes to name a few;

Chrome
    Polished Chrome
    Brushed Nickel
    Polished Nickel
    Rustic Pewter
    Velvet Aged Bronze
    Tuscan Bronze
    Venetian Bronze.
    Oil Rubbed Bronze
    Matte Black
    White
    Polished Brass
    Satin Brass
    Satin Bronze
    Copper

These are off the top of my head. in our bathrooms we choose, Chrome, Brushed Nickel, Rustic Pewter, Tuscan Bronze. Since we're not design savvy, we just go with what we like, not what's in style. as that will change before the fixtures need replacement.

• monicakm_gw
    9 years ago

dbx123, I know exactly what you're saying! Especially in the shower/tub. We're remodeling DH's bath but it's not the light and airy baths that so many are doing right now. It's dark and "manly". I could very well go with Venetian Bronze (we're using Delta faucets) but I chose the brushed stainless instead for the faucets. We've had dark bronze fixtures in there for 33 years. YUCK! Soap, shaving cream, mineral deposits...not pretty on the dark fixtures. For the vanity, I've chosen a single hole, brushed stainless faucet AND a Tapmaster (foot pedal activated hands free water). The lighter color will not jump out at you on the shower wall and will stay cleaner looking.

• jewelisfabulous
    9 years ago

I've never been a fan of the bronze fixtures, so I decided on brushed nickel. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any where I liked all the pieces in the suite. And, I found out that the finish changed in hue a bit from brand to brand. So, in the end, I went with chrome -- it's classic and I love it.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Chrome has been around as bathroom fixtures forever, and so it will continue.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

Chrome always looks good, over the years. Only styles change to date them. Just never use any abrasives on them and they will be beautiful for life. Keep in mind, however, that cheap chrome feels and shows imperfections. The higher grade brands have a flawless smooth finish.

-Babka

• kats737
    9 years ago

I agree with chrome. It is totally classic. Plus like others, I want to mix and match and not be tied to one manufacturer. I currently have probably 20-year old moen fixtures in my bathroom, but it was their highest end. Absolutely no pitting, peeling of the finish. When we are having guests, a quick spray with windex and a microfiber has them looking great.

My brother has the dark bronze, and it looks lovely with his rich wood and slate tiled bathroom. But they don't clean it often ;) and they have hard well water, so it looks pretty yucky. Otherwise, like a pp said, it fits the manly look of the bath and doesn't stick out. If they had a lighter scheme I can see it being too loud.

For the reference we have moen 'spot resistance' brushed nickel in our kitchen and overall were happy with how that finish is, but it has only been in for 2 years so no idea how it will hold up.

• monicakm_gw
    9 years ago

I love the brushed nickel Jado faucet I have in my bathroom. It's much brighter than a lot of the brushed nickel I see. Shows no finger prints and you'd have to really work at it to show dust and splatters. Was hoping to find a brushed nickel like it for DH's bathroom (he won't let me spend that kind of money on his bathroom) :( The Delta "Brilliance Stainless" I bought is a bit darker but still on the lighter side.

• loves2read
    9 years ago

is that Delta really SS or just a finish?
    is it lifetime finish guarantee?

• monicakm_gw
    9 years ago

loves2read, it says "stainless", not stainless finish, but I couldn't say for sure. And yes, it's a lifetime finish AND faucet guarantee. Here's the link to the one I bought. It has Delta's "Brilliance" technology. This is what the website says...

Brillianceî finishes, designed to not corrode, tarnish or discolor for a âÂÂlike-newâ look for life, are developed by embedding molecules deep into the faucetâÂÂs surface, creating a bond that is virtually indestructible. This process is known as Physical Vapor Deposition (PVD). Delta was the first manufacturer to offer this patented process that creates a bond that's virtually indestructible with an incredibly reflective shine. Brilliance resists abrasions and discoloration better than traditional special finishes and, in many cases, better than chrome.

In independent tests using the harshest drain cleaners, the Delta Brilliance drain retained its appearance, while its competitors did not come close. Tested with over 100 household cleaners, the abrasion resistance of the Brilliance finish can even withstand repeated scouring with steel wool. A Brilliance finish is guaranteed not to corrode, tarnish or discolor for as long as you own your home. It can even withstand prolonged exposure to harsh coastal environments.

Here is a link that might be useful: Delta Addison in Stainless