Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grout Problems! Please, advise!

Posted by elk2000 (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 18, 12 at 15:04

Our tile installer put floor tiles and grout last week. The grout is Laticrete Permacolor Dusty Grey. The tile is dark grey and combination looked very nice when he was done and grout was still wet. 3 days later we noticed that few tiles had scratches so the installer came back and replaced those few tiles and grout. Another 2 days passed, and we noticed that about half of the grout turned white, or to be precise, it looks like white dust from tile replacement settled on the grout. I simply can't remove it, tried water, vinegar solution, nothing works.
It's really strange that grout hasn't dried enough in 3 days to absorb some dust. I guess installer should have cover all good tiles before removing bad ones.
I know Laticrete has grout colorants to restore original color, unfortunately Dusty Grey is new color and Laticrete doesn't have colorant in this color yet.
What to do? Should I call installer to remove grout and reapply? Are there any other solutions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grout Problems! Please, advise!

I would definitely call the installer and have him make it right.

o

You can certainly contact him now, and I advise you to do just that. But prior to treating the grout with anything give it about a week to dry out.

There can be residual moisture from the thinset still behind the tile. That can wick into the grout and cause blotchy grout.

The white dust could indeed be "tile dust". Or just a haze. Or efflorescence.

I'd also advise you to give Laticrete's tech department a call. They can offer you advise if it's haze from a sloppy water cleanup, of efflorescence. See what they have to say, that could give you some ammo when you talk to the tiler.

I recommend you read this.

Then call 1.800.243.4788 ext 235 if you have other questions.

Good luck!

o

Thanks! The document is definitely helpful.
I know I can spend some extra bucks to get phosphoric or sulfamic acid and then may be also buy epoxy colorant, but then if it's installer's fault he should be fixing it without additional charge? Isn't it?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here