Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
naadimre

radiant floor heating warmly yours vs. suntouch

naadimre
10 years ago

hi all,

anyone with experience with either of these? i can get warmly yours for a cheaper price though directbuy. the contractor sent me an estimate including installation for suntouch radiant heating, which was about $1700 for about a 5X7' space.

thanks!

Comments (6)

• enduring
    10 years ago

How is it going to be installed-self leveling compound or thinset troweled on?

Are the wires plan wires or is it embedded in a mat system?

I spent about spent about $450 for my Suntouch WarmWire system. This included the wire, the thermostat with temp probe, extra temp probe, and mounting straps.

This did not include the plastic lath about $50 (cant remember); self leveling compound x 5 bags at $30/bag; foam self stick 1/4x3/4 window insulation that I used around the periphery (to stop flow of SLC into wall space); cheap caulk to caulk all the openings, edges, and between the joints of the subfloor; staples; self leveling primer. And of course labor, in this case mine and my DH.

The mat type wire is more expensive but there is no lath needed.

This is my experience and I could have missed something. I have only done 2 floors now.

• MongoCT
    10 years ago

Both mesh mat products are fine, they've been around for a few years now and I've installed both of them.

Regarding the mesh mats, look at the output of each as they are different; one 12W, the other 15W. That may or may not be important to you.

Then there are the "DIY" lathe and cable setups that Enduring mentioned. No mesh mat, so you have to do the layout/spacing. A little more work, but you can get the coverage you need where you need it.

• naadimre
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks for the responses. i hear suntouch uses double wiring which almost eliminates the electromagnetic field, and the company is hugely promoting this fact. do you think this is at all important?

• enduring
    10 years ago

Hi, sorry I can't answer your last question. But let me add to my comment above that my electrician wanted me to install 240v instead of the 110v option. He will hook it up to the electrical panel. And as bob_cville mentions, an ohm meter is needed to check the integrity of the system as you are installing the wires and floor covering.

• gabbythecat
    10 years ago

Re: the electromagnetic field - it *may* interfere with implanted medical devices. I have a type of pacemaker - Deep Brain Stimulation - and I have to be at least 10 feet away from things like our computer printer when I'm adjusting my electrical settings on my device. In my case, though, it doesn't interfere with the actual functioning of my "pacemaker". I wonder if it'd be a problem with cardiac pacemakers?