Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tub/shower resistent to iron deposits

Posted by lisacent (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 4, 13 at 14:27

Hi,

We have well water with lots of iron despite having a sand filter. It doesn't make our water look rusty or even have bad taste, but it takes a toll on our tub, toilet, dishwasher, etc. For the toilet I finally found a cleaner to take care of it, but our fiberglass tub is bad. I think that I used too harsh of a cleaner in my experiments of trying to get the stains off and thus damaged the finish which has made the stains come back quicker (after cleaning) than before.

We are now thinking of replacing the tub and are wondering if we should go with another material. Is there another material besides fiberglass that resists iron deposits or at least is more substantial when cleaning?

I read that tile was not good. Not because of the tile, but because of the grout which is really difficult to get iron out of.

What about cast iron? I worry about the finish again.

Are there other materials?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tub/shower resistent to iron deposits

Cast iron will stand up to more cleaning than any other material. On the plus side, there's really no tub material that isn't superior to fiberglas in this respect.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here