Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
numbersjunkie

How did they do this?

numbersjunkie
9 years ago

Below is the inspiration picture for the vanity in my master bath remodel. I have been looking at sinks, and it occured to me that the depth of the sink bowl will be an issue in this application. I have tried to estimate the height of the various sections (drawers/panels, open area and toe kick) and it seems like the top drawer/panel probably isnt even the 8" I need to hide the depth of sink I was looking at. In this photo, it appears that the counter top is thicker on the front edge than it is where the sink is mounted. The front edge actually looks like a standard thickness to me, based on my kitchen granite, Do you think the front edge is laminated to make it appear thicker or do you think they routered the edge of the sink cutout to make the sink sit higher than it otherwise would? Can they even do that? It seems like every little bit of height will count in this design.

Contemporary Bathroom
Also, if anyone can do a guestimate of the height of each section I would love to hear what you think.

Comments (8)

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

The area around the sink is standard thickness, the front edge is built up, and the bottom edge of the cabinet may be higher than the very outer bottom of the sink but obscured by the angle. They probably also used slightly shallower sinks for this.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Attached is a picture of my hall bath. The top is 2 cm ceasarstone and the edge is mitered 2 cm ceasarstone to make it look thicker. Is that what you were asking?

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Yep, the counter material has a built-up edge. I'll guess the total height at 38". Top section 10", open section 12", lower section 12", and 4" toe kick.

Bath sinks can be quite shallow, and the baskets are hiding the drain :)

• numbersjunkie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, it does look like hockeysfans pic so that must be right. I am planning a Silestone or ceasarstone in a fairly solid color so I hope edge doesnt show the seam where it is built up.

10 inches for the top drawer would be more than enough for a sink that is 8 inches deep I would think, especially with the extra 2 cm edge. And I think that front lip of the counter will helpt conceal a tubular steel bar to support the front of the counter.

As far as measurement are concerned, it looks like the open section is the largest - higher than either drawer/pensl section. But I guess it could be an illusion due to the open space.

Do you think a 3" toe kick would look stange if I needed to gain more space?

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I don't think a 3" toe kick would look strange, but I also wouldn't want to jam my toe while in my bare feet and standing on a mat in front of the mirror. I'm clumsy, and always end up doing that on non-standard toe kicks :o

Have you already picked a sink? I'm having a hard time picturing why you would want one so deep? Actually, I've never even seen an undermount bathroom sink that deep.

• numbersjunkie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Errant - The undermount sink I am considering is the Kohler Ladena. Its not overly deep - its just over 8" in depth (outside dimension, not inside). I haven't seen many that are shallower unless ther are super shallow which seem like they would splash a lot. I will also get a nice looking trap, but I don't think that will be an issue since I do plan to have baskets or folded towels on the shelf that would likely hide it.

Hopefully I can get away with the 4" toekick or something very close.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kohler Ladena

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Oh, I see you're talking about overall height. The sink you've chosen has a finished underside, which is meant to be seen beneath a counter-top install. You should be fine :)

• maxmillion_gw
    9 years ago

Love your inspiration pic! A couple thoughts -- I would have guessed that your inspiration photo has a higher and more recessed than normal toekick to give it a more "floaty" look. Maybe 8" for the top (including the counter), 12" open space, 10" bottom drawers, 6" extra recessed toe kick.

Also, I thought I read on GW that standard countertop thickness is regional with some places using 2cm and others using 3cm. That might have been for stone though. Do you want the front of the counter to appear thicker than the counter at the sink?