Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mongoct, others....will this plumbing work?

Posted by melissastar (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 9, 13 at 14:04

What I want: Tub, showerhead and handshower system , which allows showerhead and handshower to be used either separately or together.

I've read the primer posts by Mongoct and as much else as I can find and have, I think, come correctly to the conclusion that what I need is either a thermostatic valve and three separate volume controls for the three outlets OR a pressure-balance valve and separate diverter with the correct number of ports.

What I am specifically now wondering about (IF my understanding is correct) is this: Can I get what I need by combining a tub/shower system with an pressure balance valve with integrated diverter (since I don't like tub spout diverters) and a four-port ( 1 in, 3 out) diverter? I'm assuming that this would work by sending water from PB valve to either tub or showers. If to the showers, the flow would go through a separate diverter, allowing either overhead alone, hand shower alone or hand shower and overhead together.

Logically, this makes sense to me...but, of course, I have no idea how any plumbing REALLY works and whether in real life that's a practical solution.

On a separate note, I'm seriously looking at Symmons faucets/valves...they seem to be well-made, long-lasting, well priced and reasonably attractive, if not sexy. The lovely all-brass Rohl stuff I had in a previous home is too costy for this project, and as near as I can tell, the Symmons are at least as well made as Grohe, Kohler, etc. Anyone know differently?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mongoct, others....will this plumbing work?

I took a quick look at the Symmons catalog, there were two systems that I found right away within the Temptrol line.

The Water Dance system can do what you want. 1-7520-X for chrome. The literature states that the diverter can feed both shower heads at the same time.

Less expensive setup is S-96-600-B30-L-V, like the Water Dance system is has all of the components that you want, but I'm not sure if the diverter can supply both shower heads at the same time.

If you wanted to piece it all out there are ways to do that too; buying a supply valve, buying a diverter, and then sourcing your heads and tub spout separately.

You could also go with two separate Symmons Temptrol pressure-balance supply valves. One valve with an integral diverter for one of the shower heads and the tub. A second valve with no diverter for the second shower head. The advantage of that is with two valves you could have different water temps out of the two heads. Each valve is only about $100 with trim kit included.

So there are different ways to accomplish it.

A call to Symmons help line might offer other ideas.

Good luck!

o
RE: Mongoct, others....will this plumbing work?

I have the same setup you want. It is from the Jado line. We have a four-port and a pressure-balanced valve.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here