Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
renosarefun

Please critique my basement bathroom reno.

renosarefun
9 years ago

History,

Home is 30 years old, bathroom done 25 years ago but not to code.

Changes,

I want to keep the shower only, sink and toilet but change the layout to add a larger shower, covert to a vanity and keep the existing toilet.

Wish list,

Cherry 49" vanity with granite counter top 8" center faucet, single square sink with matching mirror. larger thermostatic shower with steam function, two niches, tile ceiling and glass shower doors with recess lighting. Eliminate the closet and completely change the layout. Schluter waterproof membrane, recess lighting including shower. Sound system with wall keypad and via android/iphone.. Heated tile floor with thermostat, tile half way up the wall outside shower.

Budget.

I would imagine it would be around $30,000.00 but since I'm doing all the work lets say, $14,000.00 list price, hopefully find everything on sale for $9000.00 for materials only. Labor, free as I will be doing all the work myself.

Start Date,

December 1st

I'm in the process of finishing a kitchen reno and should be finished in about 4-5 weeks as I have the doors, trim, lighting and some flooring left to do.

Completion date:

Projected date is May 1st as I want to start another project by then. I'm not a contractor, just an avid diyer.

Sizing,

I will add the sizing when I have the measurement but shower should be around 90" X 34" and the area outside shower should be 58" X 80"

Largest Obstacle.

The drain and venting were not done properly on the original bathroom and the main drain stack is hidden inside the present closet which will be eliminated.

I've never done a steam shower before so that will be my next challenge.

Please add any comments or suggestions.

Before photos.

{{gwi:1488910}}

{{gwi:1488912}}

{{gwi:1488914}}

{{gwi:1488916}}

{{gwi:1488918}}

Projected New Layout.

{{gwi:1488920}}

Bathroom Build suggestions.

Thermostatic Steam Shower.

Slant ceiling slightly for steam run off.
Use cement board for walls and ceiling
Waterproof with extra care on all corners.
Gasket the shower valve hole and the shower arm hole
Use "vapor proof" lights in shower
Porcelain tile in steamer..

Remaining Bathroom:

Panasonic vent just outside of shower door.
Look into Sonos for whole home audio.

When ever I see something I need on sale I'll purchase it and add it to my running total.

Budget $9000.00 in material, running total below

Materials To Date-------------- Cost -------------- List Price

48" Cherry Vanity,
Cherry Mirror
Mr. Steam
Schluter Ditra --------------- $150.00 -----------$300.00
Schluter Kerdi
Schluter Drain
Mud Bed/Dry Pack
Scluter Corners and Seals
Granite Top
Toilet
Pfister 8" Faucet
Pfister Thermostatic Fixtures
Recess Lighting
Ceramic Tile
Glass Shower door
Electrical Misc.
Plumbing Misc.
Drywall
Cement Board
Thinset
Cement re floor
Paint
Drywall compound
Music System.

Misc.

Sub Total ----------------------$125.00 ----------$225.00

Budget ----------------------- $9000.00
Labour Free

This post was edited by Renosarefun on Sat, Oct 18, 14 at 14:21

Comments (12)

• User
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

90x34 is a disproportionate size for a shower. If 30'' is all of the width that you can get, then don't go beyond 60'' in length. It's just adding to the complexity and expense without any return in usability. Especially since you want a steam shower. A steamshower should try for as compact of an installation as is comfortably possible, both for comfort's sake, and economy. If you could do 48''W, then 72'' L would be a good proportionate length, and would accomodate two people nicely.

• renosarefun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the reply and comments hollysprings.

The reason for the odd size is I didn't want to change the present footprint so I figured I'd just work with it. The larger size will probably add about $300.00 to the cost for extra material such as, waterproofing membrane, thin set, tile, dry-pack mud-bed, grout. I've considered that cost in my budget and thought it would allow me to expand to 3 shower heads for convenience. A handheld, ceiling mount rain can, and wall mount shower head via the thermostatic valving..

I've done the calculations on the Mr. Steam web site and determined the steam generator size should be MS225e for max 225 total room volume. I also figured since my wife and I will probably use the steam room together we could utilize the multiple shower heads after a steam cycle.

I've added a "Projected New Layout." as well as a "Total to date expenditure" to aid in members keeping up with how close I'm coming to my budget.

Please keep the comments coming.

• MongoCT
    9 years ago

Steamshowers, you mentioned Kerdi, when I do Kerdi it's over cement board. Not Hardie. Durock is my first choice, Wonderboard my second.

You'll need to Kerdi all six sides of the shower cube. Ceiling too. And you'll want to gasket the shower valve hole and the shower arm hole with Kerdi so moisture doesn't escape into the wall from those openings.

You mentioned recessed lights in the shower. Look for "vapor proof" lights. Not just "damp" or "wet" proof. Vapor proof lights are gasketed and sealed to prevent moisture vapor from getting in to the housing and trashing the light from within, or from getting through the ceiling hole and into your framing bays. They can be expensive.

Speakers within the shower. Same thing. They have to be able to withstand the steam environment.

Ventilation, the same. Some put a "standard" vent outside the shower just above the shower door to keep things simple.

Music? If you don't already have a set-up, look in to Sonos. It's my whole-house (and outside in my yard) music system. I love it. You can gradually expand it to other parts of you house should you desire. And there's an app for your android.

I recommend porcelain tile in the steamer. Leave natural stone out due to moisture issues.

Steam condensation can drip down on steam users. Some slope the ceiling to help avoid that. Grout lines can act as drip points. Just something to be aware of if you're not already.

Good luck!

• renosarefun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the reply mongoct:

I've added a "Bathroom Build Suggestions" at the bottom of my original post and added suggestions that I will consider. I appreciate the advice. .

• renosarefun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I've been doing some research on fixtures and find the thermostatic systems expensives so I'll have to figure out whether to go with Chrome, Brushed Nickel or Tuscan Bronze.

As for the heated floor, I like Schluter Ditra Heat but wow are they expensive.

As for vanities, my wife liked the quality of a brand called Foremost, but again..............wow they're expensive.

I also never realized just how expensive the Mr. Steam system is........ouch!

I know this is a bathroom basement reno, but It will be for life so I want good quality items. In the end, I guess the budget will determine what we go with.

• Rose DeClerck
    9 years ago

Building a new home and I really liked the following: http://www.susanjablon.com/bath/photos/mosaic-tile-bathroom-photos.html#bath23 tub and tile combo. Just thought I'd asked for comments. Too much?

• rockybird
    9 years ago

You might think about putting the shower knobs next to the shower door opening, so you dont have to walk in and get sprayed with cold water when turning the shower on. All you have to do is reach in and turn the shower on while standing in the doorway.

• renosarefun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Rose12

Thanks for the reply.
    I understand that people have the own tastes but glass or even 1" tiles don't appeal to me. Most of what I saw was very bright so I'd have to say it's "too much" for me.

rockybird
    Thank for the reply.
    I'll keep that in mind, over the weekend I'll make a shower layout and I"ll ask for suggestions on where the controls or even the shower heads should go.

• renosarefun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Please help me design my thermostatic steam shower layout as I need to get a material list to start looking for them to go on sale.

Since my wife and I will most likely use the steam shower together this is our wish list. I haven't decided whether to go with the thermostatic 7.0 gpm or 12.0 gpm. Please recommend the placement of all fixtures also. I haven't decided to have a permanent bench for the steam shower or a folding one.

Wish list.

Two shower heads with two separate controls for both volume and temperature which we will use the most. At least one will be a rain can as we like those the most.

Hand held shower head, this will aid for washing the shower.

4 body sprays and yes we presently have them in another shower and use them but they don't all have to be on at the same time.

Diverter valve if needed

I've chopped the rest of the bathroom to make it easier. Thanks

• renosarefun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Since I haven't' had any feedback I thought I would take a shot at it, I think I may like two rain cans and eliminate the standard shower head on the left side. I may place the volume controls on the left just inside the glass shower door and the temperture controls on the opposite end in the center. .

• renosarefun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I posted a week ago asking for suggestions on the steam shower layout and even bumped it couple days later but there seems to be no interest so I'll try one more time.

Any feedback?