Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

Which brand of faucet do you think is good value?

mtnrdredux_gw
10 years ago

In prior projects I have fallen hard for the pretty stuff. I have used lots of Herbeau, Samuel Heath and THG.
Now a few years later, I would conclude

1. According to my plumbers, this stuff is not made particularly well, and you are paying for style only
2. I see lots of attractive styles in places where I know they didn't spend what these brands cost
3. If I end up having hard water again (don't know yet), the spotting problem (even with 2x a week cleaning) is such a downer that I don't really enjoy the beauty of these things.

With that all in mind, for our new second home, I am going to be redoing 2 1/2 BA, adding a BA, and redoing the kitchen. Which faucet line(s) would you suggest I look at if I want good value? Does anyone carry unpolished brass at a good price point?

Thanks in advance.

Comments (44)

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

Cifial is well-made and decently priced, too. Not sure how extensive their line is (styles), but we are very happy with the three faucets we have.

• geoffrey_b
    10 years ago

I've had good luck with Grohe.

• melissastar
    10 years ago

I've been investigating Symmons. On the Starcraft homes site (very helpful for LOTS of stuff) there's a lengthy review of lots of faucets and Symmons is one they recommend, noting that most consumers don't know it, because Symmons has spent decades serving the hotel and commercial trade and is a late comer to the residential design side.

They are all metal, have nice heft, a good finish and reasonable style. And they are VERY well priced for their quality. The problem is that it's quite tough to actually SEE one. I can't find one in any showroom nearby. So, I'm going on specs and pics on the Symmons site and what the person in the independent showroom near me said about them...which was, i liked them and I don 't know why we don't display them, except that we are rarely asked about them. I'm thinking I'm going to risk the restocking fee and order.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone. Id heard of Grohe, but not the other two. Something to investigate!

• lillo
    10 years ago

You can check hansgrohe too . It was the same company as grohe and then they split . Their axor line is nice and they are all metal and hefty .

• threeapples
    10 years ago

We have hard water and unlacquered brass all over the house. With our kitchen faucet being unlacquered it looks horrie. I'm actually going to clean it and send it to be lacquered because our water softener still causes it to look awful in just a days use after cleaning and then protecting with Rwnaussance wax.

I love our Rohl faucets and think they are a good value. We also have some Grohe, but some of their parts are plastic, which I don't love.

• enduring
    10 years ago

The link below is the Star builders site that has the faucet info, mentioned above. Check it out, lots of good information. There is a part one article that goes with this article. You can find it at the tab at the top of the article.

I have Hansgrohe for my bathroom in the Axor line. It is their high end line. I love my Hansgrohe stuff in my first bathroom remodel, so I have it all set up for my current bath remodel.

My plumber swears by Wolverine Brass which is well regarded but only offered through your plumber, and it is ugly :)

Mongoct has referenced Symmons, referenced above, in many post.

Here is a link that might be useful: faucet reviews & ratings part 2

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lillo, ThreeApples, Enduring,

Thanks so much for your ideas!

• vedazu
    10 years ago

Threeapples: I just swish some BarKeepers Friend across my unlacquered brass faucet--almost every day as I clean my sink. Keeps it quite nice enough with almost no effort. Spray it to rinse and use your towel to dry it .

• OldTimeCarpenter1
    10 years ago

Please note that vedazu is taling about cleaning UNLAQUERED brass with Bar Keepers Friend. Son't try this on laquered brass. BTW, Bark Keepers Friend is the cleaning secret of the 21st century. If its metal (and not laquered), it needs Bar Keepers.

Check out PVD "brass". It's actually not brass at all, but usually an oxide form of zirconium (you know, the diamond substitute), and very tough (20x harder than chrome), cannot tarnish, and sheds most hard water spots with a wipe from a soft towel. Almost any manufacturer that offers a PVD finish has PVD brass. Most come with a lifetime warranty.

• scpalmetto
    10 years ago

Did you ever decide on a brand? I am going through the same hoops right now. My plumber says to stay away from the pricey brands and stick with Moen - from a reputable plumbing supply store, not from a big box. He says the Moen in the box stores are mostly plastic and they do not hold up. I keep looking at Hansgrohe but the reviews about their faucets are terrible.

This post was edited by scpalmetto on Fri, Feb 14, 14 at 12:12

• User
    10 years ago

In a heartbeat, DELTA. Their customer service is amazing. We had a new water heater put in and the wacked out pressure blew through the kitchen faucet. It was about 5 years old I think. we called Delta, and since they no longer make that faucet they could not provide the piece which broke. They sent me a new faucet ( I selected) and I had it within 3 days. They might not have the panache that some other high end ones do, but man on man I am impressed. and MADE IN USA.

• cruzinpattis
    10 years ago

Came across this site that is extremely informative that lists every faucet maker and their warranty score. Plus an excellent rating guide for each company.

http://starcraftcustombuilders.com/sources.faucets2.htm

MOEN, Brizo, Delta, Kohler, to name a few have lifetime warranty.

• andy_m
    10 years ago

Never been disappointed with Rohl. Grohe is ok, but as a poster metioned earlier, some of their stuff is plastic. The metal ones are very nice. I prefer polished chrome (durable, cheapest, easy to clean and never goes out of style) and both Rohl and Grohe do very nice chrome.

• alina_1
    10 years ago

OldTimeCarpenter1,
    Thank you for this info on Delta!

Do you know whether Delta Diamond Sealî ceramic cartridge is used in the bath faucets and shower parts? If so, in what lines?

I only found information that this technology was used in their kitchen faucets.

• scpalmetto
    10 years ago

Old time carpenter, what do you think of the Rohl Classic? My problem is that I want a pull down faucet and the end has to be easily removable for cleaning. Right now I have an old KWC and the end pops right off and the strainer and the other parts (the outer ring of plastic with the holes) can be cleaned. All the new faucets I have looked at only have removable strainers and I learned that they are not designed to be removed often. I want one where the whole end comes off because we have a lot of gunk in our water. I have to clean ours at least once a month. I was told that only Blanco, Rohl and KWC have these removable ends. Do you have any other suggestions?

Sorry, I just realized I posted this query on two different threads dealing with faucet choices. I am finding it difficult to keep up with the many many posts here. Just showing my age. :-)

This post was edited by scpalmetto on Thu, Mar 27, 14 at 14:12

• OldTimeCarpenter1
    10 years ago

To find out which Delta faucets have DST cartridges, do this:

Go to Delta Faucets.

Type "DST" (without the quotes) in the search box at the top right of the home page.

This will display a list of all DST faucets.

Delta is transitioning to DST in all faucets, some now have it, some not yet.

Last time I talked to Delta, there were no plans to use DST in shower faucets, but this could change at any time.

This post was edited by OldTimeCarpenter1 on Sat, Mar 29, 14 at 20:47

• kidhorn
    10 years ago

I've had good luck with Moen. I buy my faucets from Home Depot. I go to the store and pick from whatever they have in stock. I've never had a faucet last over 10 years. Either the faucet starts leaking and I can't find a replacement part or the countertop needs replacing and a new countertop gets a new faucet. I have 3 kids and a wife who spends an inordinate amount of time using the bathroom faucet. I'm probably atypical.

I'm currently shopping for 3 bathroom faucets.

• OldTimeCarpenter1
    10 years ago

Rohl's Classic is made by Green's Industries of New Zealand. It's an OK faucet.

• scpalmetto
    10 years ago

Just OK? That's scary. :-)

• erinsean
    10 years ago

Our Moen kitchen faucet lasted 5 years as did our friends. We got a Delta faucet and have had no problems....Delta is what our store recommended.

• pkspigs
    10 years ago

I see no one mentioned Dornbrecht. They are high end of the higher end of faucets. Made in Germany. Cost is very high, but you get what you pay for. beautiful faucets.

• aliris19
    10 years ago

What happened to your friends? ;)

• ardcp
    10 years ago

i learned from this site, not the 2 different plumbers that charged me for parts and repair of my shower assembly, that delta replaces parts for life. i have 2 exact shower units from when i built the house 15 years ago. we have no manuals or info from the builder so i don't have part numbers either. i called delta tonight since the tub diverter (replaced by plumber) is not draining all the way again. i could not believe how nice the delta cs was! they are sending a new tub spout and new handle as the finish is cloudy for free and the rep gave me a brief tutorial on how to replace the handle. pretty amazing!
    we need a new kitchen faucet for our reno and i am set to buy a delta!

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    10 years ago

I recently replaced a kitchen faucet. I tried to save a little money on the faucet when we did a remodel 15 years ago and I limped along with whatever brand it was all these years. It was an awful faucet. Decided to spend the money on a good faucet and researched. Loved the descriptions of the ceramic disc valves that you can get in faucets now and their longevity and bought a Kohler that had one. LOVE it! It's like night and day.

And one point, if you are not a DIY plumber who fixes his own faucets, even if Delta sends you the parts, you still have to hire a plumber for a repair. And one plumber visit can be as expensive as a $300. faucet.

I don't have personal experience with other brands of faucet, but plumbers I've asked, have all suggested Kohler in their top three brands. And in a faucet, I would look into the ceramic disc valve technology and see if that doesn't sound like what you want.

• DreamingoftheUP
    10 years ago

My personal experience, for what it's worth - I've got a home-depot-sourced Moen pressure balancing valve in my second bath shower which I use every day. The trim and handle are chromed plastic and after 20+ years, definitely don't have the bling look anymore. However, the valve function is rock solid. I replaced the cartridge once when it developed a leak and it continues to live on.

On the other hand, I replaced my kitchen sink faucet with a home-depot-sourced single handle Moen. The handle was chromed metal while all the other parts were chromed plastic. It never felt solid and after about 10 years, the handle became loose and wobbly from wear and, again, the chrome finish wasn't great. The valve function was rock solid and never leaked.

I replaced it with a home-depot-sourced Kohler, about 6 years ago. My choices were limited at home depot - at the same time, I installed a water filter with a separate faucet and wanted to maintain a separate hand spray in my 4-hole sink. I wanted to get the job done quick and did not search and ponder long; just got what filled the bill at Home Depot and there wasn't much to choose from. Just now, I checked the Kohler site and it seems I ended up with the Forte 3-hole remote valve model. I just remember that I was pissed because I had to spend over 200 bucks.

Anyway, am totally happy with it; it was money well spent. It's all metal, the chrome finish looks brand new, it still feels rock solid and no leaks. Don't know if it has ceramic disks or not, although the current model Forte does.

In my current bathroom remodel, I'm going with Kohler faucets and shower valve. I don't recall the brand that is being replaced, but believe it was a "boutique" brand that was pretty expensive at the time. The sink faucet has developed a stem leak on the hot water faucet (separate hot & cold) twice over 20 some years and I simply replaced the cartridge. The chrome finish on the sink spout has dulled over the years, so I'm not very impressed with them. I'll have to see if I can dig up the receipts and discover the brand.

Prior to that, the bath had late 1950's American Standard faucets. Of course, they were all metal, excellent chrome finish even after decades. Valve and stem leaks were more frequent, and that was the usual changing washers and stem packing, which is a pain in the butt - old technology.

I'm in the Chicago area with city (Lake Michigan) water, so the water is not hard.

This post was edited by DreamingoftheUP on Sat, Apr 5, 14 at 8:56

• monicakm_gw
    9 years ago

Love my Delta kitchen faucet that was installed 12 years ago. Still as pretty as the day it was installed and with ZERO problems. We had to have a special part due to the thickness of our counter-top. Delta sent it out 2nd day and free of charge :) Hoping I can find a style I like for DH's bathroom. Unfortunately I did not find exactly what I wanted when we did the master bath in 07. Jado ended up having what I wanted and I have had zero issues with it as well but it cost me an arm and a leg!

• User
    9 years ago

We found this thread while researching replacement faucets for the original Moens installed when the house was new 11 years ago. The kitchen faucet Moen is wobbly and since we're replacing a leaky sink will replace the faucet also. In addition one of the bathroom faucet Moens doesn't leak anymore (we replaced the cartridge), but even the plumber we called said there's something gritty inside and it needs to be replaced, too.

We like what we've read about the Delta line, with one exception. The brand is fine, but what about the lines within the brand? Some are "clinkers" as mentioned above, but how can we tell which is and which isn't? Price? Where's the cutoff?

How can I find a Delta that isn't a "clinker?"

• ardcp
    9 years ago

i have a delta trinsic that came from a plumbing supply place. it is awesome and sturdy. i love that delta replaces parts with a simple phone call and no proof of purchase (they replace 2 tub spouts from my 16year old home)
    there is a rumor that lowes/hd sell faucets with more plastic parts as i can not be sure it isn't true, i search for a plumbing supply place near me which i found on the blanco website (i was buying a silgranite sink which i also love) the plumbing supply place was retail friendly and cheaper than lowes/hd.

• bobhood
    9 years ago

We went with Grohe for ALL bathroom fixtures, including shower heads and valves.

Kitchen faucet is Brizo (Delta's up-market brand.) Great warranty and styling.

• christina222_gw
    9 years ago

This was a very helpful thread for me, thanks. I looked at Delta but they didn't have anything in the style I was looking for so I checked out Symmons, a brand I'd never heard of previously. Found just what I was looking for! I'd been searching for a shower/ tub set for weeks and you guys solved it in a few minutes.

• loves2read
    9 years ago

Did you find that Symmons online only--or have you seen it first hand? Not saying it is bad brand--because I have read this thread several times and seen the other link's info as well....just wondering from a shopper's perspective since I need to find fixtures for bath remodel as well.

• loves2read
    9 years ago

RE the Delta line/quality--I think that only the Delta kitchen line has the diamond brand valve--which is lifetime. Many bathroom/kitchen fixtures have a finish that is supposed to be lifetime--so the valves in all product lines have not been upgraded...

• christina222_gw
    9 years ago

Loves2read - I have not seen it in person. Where I live it's pretty much just the most common brands and low end of those in the stores.

• francisco108
    8 years ago

Here is my 2 cents in regards to Delta Kitchen water faucets.

In early 2013 I purchased a Delta single kitchen faucet and then in June of 2014 I had to order a replacement cartridge because the original cartridge failed a little over 1 year after purchasing the faucet on Home Depot.

This water faucet uses the "Delta RP50587"

To make matter worse, this very same part (RP50587) has once again failed on me right now, Again on similar time frame as the original one lasted, a little over 1 year.

It looks like this Delta faucet that uses this particular above mentioned part number cartridge has a yearly fee in terms of this type of "PLANNED FAILURE" where the cartridge fails after a year to a year and 6 months of usage.

So, buyers beware.

• monicakm_gw
    8 years ago

My Delta Addison bathroom faucet has Diamond Seal Technology... it's not quite a year old yet. My Delta Victorian kitchen faucet is 13 years old and still looks like new and works fine. I'm not happy with the Addison sink stopper. It's plastic and flimsy and doesn't sit straight. Also not happy with the way the water comes out of the bathtub faucet. They sent a new faucet but it's no different.

• Cheryl DeLuca
    6 years ago

I still have the original 1954 American Standard faucets in my bathrooms.

• Laura Mac
    6 years ago

Be sure to get PVD finish on all your faucets! I have polished brass with PVD finish, and it is still gorgeous after 15 years. They come in every finish!

http://www.calfaucets.com/finishes/power-of-pvd

This is from Ca Faucets website:

What exactly is PVD?

PVD (Physical Vapor Deposition) uses a state-of-the-art process that molecularly bonds the finish to the faucet, creating a super-hard surface that is by far the most durable available today. Products with a PVD finish will not corrode, discolor, or tarnish. Even high wear and tear items like handles or pop-up drains.

These cutting edge finishes are so effective, we guarantee them for life against tarnishing, PVD has proven resistant to over 100 cleaning products and can withstand many harsh environmental factors such as salt air and hard water.

• Mittens Cat
    4 years ago

Anyone else care to chime in on the faucet issue? I promised our GC I'd have my decisions (bathroom faucets, shower heads) to him in 24 hours...

• Michele P
    2 years ago

Did anyone have more recent feedback on Symmons? Thanks!

• Julia Cable
    last year

Have anyone bought from Phylrich? How’s the quality and warranty ? Thanks!

• bobhood
    last year
    last modified: last year

My Brizo (Delta) faucet has a lifetime warranty. (See my post above from 7 years ago!) They sent me a free replacement spray head a couple of years ago, and last month sent a new mixing valve, after a very small drip started. Love FREE!

• Loni Stern
    last year

Phylrich feedback?