Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lvon145_gw

Ridiculously small?

lvon145
10 years ago

Currently I have a 66" x 68" half bath. I am looking at converting it to a 3/4 bath. I will be putting in a 30 x 60 shower along the 66" wall, and there will be a window in the middle. Toilet will come out 27.5 and sink 12" opposite each other on the 68" walls. There is a pocket door opposite the shower on the other 66" wall. We would have to move plumbing. I have received several bids and I am just about ready to bite the bullet but I am getting cold feet. Will I really be able to turn around in there? The room is not going to get bigger, but I am doing this more for convenience as we do have other bathrooms to use. Is a 3/4 bath this size ridiculously small to use? Your thoughts, please? Thank you.

This post was edited by lvon145 on Mon, Oct 14, 13 at 17:25

Comments (17)

• nightowlrn
    10 years ago

Maybe think outside the box. Perhaps a shower with no door and a toilet, sink combo. My son lives in Japan and this is a common set up. http://cdn.freshome.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/small_bathroom_design_pictures.jpg

You are probably aware there are building codes that will most likely apply.

Here is a link that might be useful:

This post was edited by nightowlrn on Mon, Oct 14, 13 at 18:46

• ineffablespace
    10 years ago

It's workable: you have a bit more than the minimum clear floor space in the middle of the room in front of each fixture (the clearances are allowed to overlap). You may want to have only a shower curtain so that if the curtain is open the shower seems like part of the room, rather than closing it off behind glass doors.

• williamsem
    10 years ago

Well, a standard tub is 30x60, so the shower should be adequate. It might feel more open with a small curb and curtain vs solid walls/door.

A wall mounted toilet will save you a few inches and some visual clutter, plus be easier to clean around.

You could also go for a true wet room, though I understand they are more technically difficult to build. Which probably translates to more expensive, but might be more functional. I'm sure someone here could offer more practical advice in that area.

• whit461
    10 years ago

Go for it. We are just getting things lined up for a remodel of a half bath downstairs to be a wet room for my MIL who is 89 and can't go up and down the stairs anymore. We looked very closely at the toilet/ sink combo and though it is ally cool, my DW just doesn't see that working for us. So we are going to go with a wall mount toilet if we can, linear drain in back, very gentle slope because of the small space. Ours measures 54" x 66". All tile, sweep under door to help with spray, hand held shower, floor-stand tp holder, moving all electrical outside, there's a window that will need some work to the casings and sill. A lot of little hidden details, and our budget is under $4K. Good luck, let us know what you think and decide.

• nyurcisin
    10 years ago

Did a quick sketch and it could work. My concern would be if you have a curb and/or need a shower door that may be a problem with door not having room to open without hitting toilet or sink. Perhaps a curbless, doorless shower, and ALL tile floor with drain in center of room may open things up a bit.

Also, will your door into the room open out? Not sure how opening into the room would work either. Could you post a pic of the layout?

• lvon145
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you! appreciate all the comments.... I am going to bite the bullet, but I wish it was at the 4K mark. :) I expect this will be about 8K by the time all is done. I will have a cultured marble shower, small vessel sink, and small toilet. There is already an existing pocket door and with the window there will be a ton of light in the room. I have a crude drawing of the room and I think it will be tight... Again, thanks for all the comments

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    10 years ago

I think you need to think outside the box a bit more. Look at this lovely little bath from Houzz, for example. What's in your drawing will not meet code for toilet clearance, for example.

• bbstx
    10 years ago

Look at pharaoh's Bling! bathroom. He used a frameless sliding glass shower door in his remodel. That would save you floor space. Plus, to me the frameless glass nearly disappears.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bling! bathroom

• ineffablespace
    10 years ago

It does meet code, at least international residential code.
    30" or 15" on center for toilet (36/18" OC is code in many locales) and this layout has 38"

66"-28"=38" between toilet and opposite wall.
    Minimum space in front of a toilet and in front of a sink=21" These spaces are allowed to overlap.

38"-21"=17", and a much shallower wall hung sink could be used. If you used a tiny hand washing sink, you could get 28" or more. (This may also be superseded by local code )

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    10 years ago

>It does meet code, at least international residential code.
    30" or 15" on center for toilet (36/18" OC is code in many locales) and this layout has 38"

Yes, but I meant the space in front, which I believe needs to be 30", at least according to code where I am.

EDIT So your requirement is a lot smaller, but I'd mock that up and see how comfortable it is for standing. It's very tight as you have it.

This post was edited by writersblock on Sun, Oct 20, 13 at 18:01

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

Space in FRONT needs to be 21" by international residential code, although some local codes require 24", some 30". This was addressed specifically in ineffablespace's post.

If its a choice between tight but code compliant and getting a 3/4 in place or not having one because 21" is tighter than 30" what's the choice? No bath in this location? How is that a preferable choice?

This post was edited by palimpsest on Mon, Oct 21, 13 at 11:25

• live_wire_oak
    10 years ago

Would it be possible to change the entry to one of the 68" walls and turn the layout 90 degrees? That would give you 2" more clearance between the toilet and sink. I'd also look at specific toilets to find one with the smallest footprint. And I might do a shallow trough sink to increase the clearance there as well. Small spaces are always challenging!

• lvon145
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is a 2nd fl bathroom under a dormer. No place to go and I can't change the door. Getting rid of the window was not a good option either. The sink will be small less than 12" jutting out and the toilet...probably Toto Aquia II which is 27.5.
    I appreciate all the comments.... Thank you.

• bbstx
    10 years ago

Here is an article on tiny bathrooms with emphasis on small sinks. You might find some helpful information or inspiration in it. #7 is less than 9" deep!

Here is a link that might be useful: Apartment Therapy Small Sinks

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

Not to beat my dead horse, but most jurisdictions will be pretty lenient with existing structures when it comes to bathrooms, especially. This is already a 1/2 bath. There is no way of making the room any larger. Even if in new construction you must have 36" 18" on center for toilets or X" in front of the fixture, or a 28" or 30" door, if it Exists and you do Not have it and cannot make it happen, they will make allowances. Many houses here have bathrooms that would never ever be allowed in completely new construction. (24" doors, ceilings under 84", toilets on 12" centers established decades ago, etc. etc. ad nauseum.)

• Nancy in Mich
    9 years ago

I am cruising through the Bathrooms forum looking for experiences with wall-hung toilets and your thread popped up because one was mentioned. What did you end up doing?

• numbersjunkie
    9 years ago

Put in a wall mounted toilet. Geberit has a wall tank that fits in 2 x 4 framing. Toto Maris extends 21 inches from wall. Easier to clean in such a small space too.