Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
balbina_gw

Clorax spray did nothing... any ideas?

Balbina
9 years ago

My shower tiles look awful. I tried various products including Clorax spray but I am unable to remove spots on tiles in my shower. There is also a dark stain on the grout in-between tiles which I can't clean off. Any ideas on how to handle this? Thank you

Comments (16)

• bowbat
    9 years ago

Maybe Lime Away?

• Gracie
    9 years ago

It looks like pink bacteria, Serratia marcescens, but bleach should remove it. Was there enough bleach in the spray? According to Wiki, it can be stubborn. How long has it been like this?

• Balbina
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks so much. Here is another view. Looks more brownish than pink. It is getting worse. It started few weeks ago. It is only in the area where water hits the tile. I have ground water from a well so this may be something in the water?

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

Lots of iron in your well water?

• homepro01
    9 years ago

Dawn power dissolver? It cleans everything I have thrown at it.

• Vertise
    9 years ago

Spray with vinegar, let it sit maybe an hour. Scrub with a stiff brush & rinse. Any change? Make a baking soda paste with water and smear it on. Let it sit overnight then spray with vinegar. Let It bubble & fizz. Scrub it around & let it sit 15-20 minutes. Scrub & rinse.

• sheloveslayouts
    9 years ago

We're not on a well, but i had assumed we had an iron issue. then I googled more and figured it must be a type of mold. Tilex mold and mildew worked for us.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tilex Mold and Mildew

• cold_weather_is_evil
    9 years ago

Chlorine doesn't do very well against minerals, nor does steam. I take it that common dry cleanser like Ajax or Comet on a big old tile sponge didn't work either. That almost guarantees that the staining is NOT organic, and that leaves chemicals. The first one I use is CLR, maybe with coarse steel wool.

There are other approaches, but after those few, the approaches involve horsepower and havoc.

• jerzeegirl
    9 years ago

I would try some rust remover but be careful when you use it - some are very strong.

• Nicole
    9 years ago

If it is iron, IME the best things to scrub it away is Bar Keeper's Friend or Kaboom! spray.

• chiefneil
    9 years ago

CLR or lime-away sounds like a good bet if it's rust/iron. Vinegar and barkeeper's friend should also work, although with a bit more elbow grease. Be sure you have enough ventilation when using CLR and other caustic products.

• Arapaho-Rd
    9 years ago

This may sound strange, but try baking soda on a sponge to see if you can remove the stain. Then you can followup with something to kill bacteria. White vinegar is worth a try.
    Another option- Magic Eraser.

• lascatx
    9 years ago

Bar Keeper's Friend should do the trick if it is iron.

• emma
    9 years ago

Try Fantastic Spray.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

So, Balbina (OP) did you figure out what the residue was? Did any of the above concoctions work?

-Babka

• vedazu
    9 years ago

Are you using a Clorox spray that is not pure bleach? I just fill up a spray bottle with straight Clorox or other bleach and it usually takes care of everything. I've never found any sprays sold to clean grout strong enough.

Sponsored
Jennifer Gilmer Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Team | 11x Best of Houzz