Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to do curbless roll-in shower - new construction?

Posted by lazygardens (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 20, 12 at 13:34

Tile guys:

We are planning a house with poured slab floors (either on AAC or ICF substrate) with embedded hydronic heating loops. Over this will be tile and/or hardwood suitable for use with the in-floor heat.

Bathrooms will have roll-in showers - no curb - because we are geezers and want to "age in place". Tile is undecided, all I can say is it will be slip-resistant and suitable for wet areas.

In terms of the tiling, waterproofing and construction, what is the best way to get the required slope for shower drainage? Which style drain would work best? Drain location? Shower is at the "far end" of the bathroom, vanity is outside the shower/toilet room.

NOTE: There will be ample room under both the floors for pipes and drains to the greywater tank in the basement. We have >9ft ceilings for other reasons).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to do curbless roll-in shower - new construction?

With a slab pour, the easiest thing is to have the trench drain be on the far side of the shower from the entry and then work the wet concrete to be your preslope. I'd want enough rebar and fiber reinforcement in that concrete to avoid any future cracking of the slab. Then just use a topically applied membrane like Redguard and tile over it.

Insulating UNDER and around the slab will be critical to the success of this with your home. A concrete slab has six sides, and all of them will lose heat to the surrounding ground or air if given the chance. Then you are paying to heat the outdoors, not your house, and it becomes a money suck to do that. Be SURE that your contractor actually understands that and plans the insulation accordingly.

o

When doing what GreenDesign recommends, I'll alter it a bit. When the slab is poured, I'll have them box out the area where the shower footprint is, say 3-4" deep, or as deep as needed.

Then when it's time to build the shower, I'll create the floor pitch by packing sloped mud into the boxed out area.

o

Thanks. That's probably a detail the tile and concrete guys would have to negotiate with the GC (which may be me) before the pouring starts.

Insulation is not going to be an issue. The ICFs create a concrete box of a house with no air gaps, covered with foam insulation ... ready to finish off with stucco or siding. Floors have foam underneath.

Both floor slab methods create a non-cracking slab with lots of remesh and rebar. ICFs floor forms interlock the slab rebar with the ICF wall rebar and fill the whole thing with concrete. It's like a WWI pillbox.

o

I've done a few ICFs in my day. Good choice. My kids always wanted to come with me to work with the "big lego blocks". lol

o

We've been watching the build here - it's what decided us on the ACF.

http://ana-white.com/2011/08/momplex

Although her use of child labor is excessive. That poor exploited child has been toting block, making J-bolts, cleaning up the site, trimming foam, and making PR videos.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here