Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Aging in place on second floor?

Posted by jrueter (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 10, 13 at 13:14

So in planning our updated MBA, I have been considering various aging in place features like grab bars and comfort height toilet and curbless shower, etc. But then I start wondering if a fully wheelchair accessible space for a second floor bathroom is overkill. Probably. I can see the value in grab bars and considering access as we get older, but if I can't make it over the shower curb, I can't imagine how I will get up the stairs!

So I guess my question is, what seems reasonable (useful) for a second floor MBA?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Aging in place on second floor?

Good reasoning! Speaking from experience (ah,hem), as you age, your parts wear out. Higher toilets are much easier on the knees/thighs. Higher countertops too so you don't have to bend over so far to wash your face. We now have a 3" curb in our new shower which is a delightful compared to the old 6" one. Grab bars are good to have, but you don't have to put them in right away, just make sure you block the studs for them in the future. So some of this stuff is a good idea on a second floor while you can still get up and down the stairs easily, but that wheel chair access seems silly to me...unless you love this house so much that you'd eventually install a chair lift on those stairs!

-Babka

o

• Posted by Babka 9b NorCal (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 10, 13 at 13:55

Duplicate post

-Babka

This post was edited by Babka on Fri, Oct 11, 13 at 12:54

o

jreuter,
I had the exact same thought. Curbless is a nice look but they can be tricky to install and, I imagine, expensive. I am glad to hear that Babka's curb height is only 3". I hope to minimize it as much as possible but curbless seems like an unneccessary extravagance in a second floor bathroom.

o

Like Babka said unless you will be able to put a chair lift in the house, whats the use of the w/c access. Some years ago my dear friend put a lift in their remodel for her mother who walked. I had moved so I really didn't know how useful it was or if it even got used.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here