Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Undermount vs drop in tub

Posted by rebecca3142 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 29, 13 at 13:12

Hello,

I am wondering if there are advantages to undermount vs a drop in bathtub, other than esthetic preferences?

Also, the tub I am thinking about ordering can come with grab bars attached but they are $300 more. Can other grab bars be installed later is we need to?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Undermount vs drop in tub

An undermount is much easier to sit on the ledge and swivel around to get in the tub. When you're naked, (or even if you're not!) it's just not that comfortable to sit on a ledge with a ridge in it that cuts into your legs or backside.

Grab bars can be placed on the wall to the side of the tub entry at any point if you install the blocking needed in the walls before they are closed up. Be sure to place the Roman tub faucet on the deck appropriately to give you the room you need to enter and exit and still be able to reach it from the exterior. And be sure and get the option with the hand held sprayer to be able to actually clean the tub! It can work for rinsing shampoo out of the kids hair too, if you let them use your tub.

o

Thanks! (you've always been so helpful with my questions)

I didn't think of that aspect. I was actually thinking about the drop-in being more comfortable when you are in the bath since the lip gives a bit of a head rest aspect.

o

I think I am going with the undermount option but I keep obsessing about "what if the air tub breaks" as I don't know how one would remove it without possibly breaking the deck (granite). The store where I bought the tub did recommend undermount for the looks.

o

Thanks! Which airtub are you going with?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here