Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
advertguy2

Where to Get Siliconized Latex Caulk?

advertguy2
15 years ago

Hi,

I've read a few times here from both Mongo and Bill that siliconized latex caulk is the way to go for corners and such. I'm going to be using Mapei Opticolor grout in Navajo Brown and according to the Mapei website, their matching Keracaulk S caulk is just latex (not to be used outside or exposed to water for long periods of time). Checked Customs site as well and from what I can tell, theirs is the same as Mapei.

So the question is where can I get siliconized latex caulk that will match Mapei Navajo Brown?

The alternative question to either Bill or Mongo is whether or not the Keracaulk S will do just fine in my shower?

Thanks for the help.

Dan

Comments (7)

• MongoCT
    15 years ago

Dan,

I usually use color-matched caulk from Color Caulk. Color Caulk's stuff is siliconized-latex. I've never had a problem with the stuff, it's been in my own shower for the past 10+ years.

I did a quick search for "Color Caulk Navajo Brown" and a hit from a site that this forum won't let me link to, so I can't post the link. But it is available to be had.

Mongo

• bill_vincent
    15 years ago

The Keracaulk is fine, as well.

• advertguy2
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I see that a flooring tool website has it but the issue is that I'm in Canada and things don't always work out too well when cross border shipping is involved. I'll look into it tomorrow and see what they have to say. If all else fails, I'll use the Mapei and if I have any problems I'll go for the Color Caulk.

As always Mongo and Bill, thank you very much for your expert advice.

Dan

• advertguy2
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Did a bit of research this morning.

Called the flooring tool website and shipping to Canada isn't terrible. In the end the total price of the Color Caulk siliconized latex works out to be slightly more than the Mapei purchased locally.

Called Mapei and confirmed that their Keracaulk is latex. No silicone. Guy said it wasn't recommended for shower floor corners since they're constantly wet (hopefully not in my Kerdi shower :) )

Called the Color Caulk people and they said the exact same thing about their product as Mapei did. Not recommended for wet areas like the shower floor corners. They recommended silicone.

So, based on this new found knowledge, I'm thinking of just sticking to the Mapei since Bill gives it the thumbs up. If the siliconized latex was suitable for the floor corners then I would have gone with it.

If I have a problem in the future then I'll track down some silicone to match.

Just wondering, can I make my own colour matched silicone by adding some grout powder to clear silicone?

Regards,

Dan

• bill_vincent
    15 years ago

You'll find people who think so, but I've tried it before when I was on a commercial crew. It didn't work all that well.

• advertguy2
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Bill. I guess there IS a reason why companies actually sell colour matched caulk.

• MongoCT
    15 years ago

I've never used it, but Red Devil supposedly has a caulk coloring kit.

You add latex paint to whatever type of dispensing gizmo they have and the caulk comes out the color of the paint.

Doesn't mention any restrictions on the type of caulk used. I know it's not a perfect solution for you, as you'd have to get some brown paint to do it, but it fits into the theme of the thread for anyone else reading.

Personally I'd rather use a siliconized-latex instead of a 100% latex in a shower, even a Kerdi shower.

Mongo