Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
1-piece vs. 2-piece toilet?

Posted by tr1140 (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 1, 09 at 12:49

Hi everyone,

Can anyone tell me if there is an advantage/disadvantage to a one-piece toilet vs. a two-piece toilet? It seems like everything I'm looking at tends to be a two-piece toilet, but is there any reason to rule out a one-piece if I find one that I like? I'm also having an issue with the "comfort-height", but that's probably for a different thread!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 1-piece vs. 2-piece toilet?

I'm not a plumber but I don't see a difference beyond personal preference.

We just bought a 2 piece Toto Aquia to replace the two piece American Standard in our bathroom renovation.

o

The one problem I can think of with a 2 piece is that stray urine streams can get into the joint between the tank and bowl and fester. A 1 piece eliminates this. 1 piece tends to be more expensive. You also tend to be more limited with 1 piece in terms of choices.

I have a 2 piece Kohler Persuade which has what they call a "sanitary dam" between the bowl and tank. Basically there's a little step up from the top of the bowl to where the joint is. Makes it a bit more difficult to get urine under there. Not saying it's impossible though. Anyways, enough urine talk. I'm no plumber, so my opinions don't mean too much.

o

It can be difficult to paint behind a one piece. Also, it may require two people to install - other than that, I'm wondering about it as well.

o

i'd just consider the weight of it. two pieces - each weighs less and easier to carry.

or if the tank cracked it could be replaced on a 2 pc w/o replacing the bottom part.

o

My plumber carried in our Toto Ultramax and set it by himself. One piece: easier to clean and one less place for a leak to occur.
Monica

o

Pros:
* Easier to clean
* Usually more compact than the same model 2-piece. An elongated 1-piece may even fit in the same space as a round-bowl 2-piece.

Cons:
* Usually MUCH more expensive (for example, the Kohler Memoirs 1-piece costs almost twice as much as the Memoirs 2-piece)
* Harder to move (but not something you'd do very often)
* If it gets damaged, you'll have to replace the whole toilet (not something I'd lose sleep over)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here