Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Frameless shower door height

Posted by sriirvine (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 22, 12 at 12:44

Hello,

The tile wall in our shower goes up to about 8 ft and our ceiling is almost 9 ft (sloped ceiling; goes up from there). Our rain fall shower rod goes up to 7.5 ft and the actual rainfall shower head is a bit over 7 ft. How high should our frameless glass shower be? I don't want to line it up with the top of the tile wall since I think that would be a HIGH glass shower! I don't want to line it up with the shower rod since that would look weird. So I think it needs to be a little bit lower than the shower rod. Is there a rule of thumb here?

Here's our shower system:

http://www.grohe.com/uk/5496/showers/shower-panels/euphoria-systems/product-details/?product=27421-G236&color=001

Our shower wall is white subway tile and we have some accent tile and a shower niche.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Frameless shower door height

I would probably recommend 76" or 78" in height.

o

Thanks for the reply. Will it look weird if the rainfall shower rod and shower head are above the edge of the glass? I've been going crazy looking on house and I don't quite see the same configuration as we have.

Also, any thoughts on 2-hinge vs 3-hinge? If I went to 78" would 3-hinge be necessary?

Thanks!

o

How thick is the glass? The typical shower hinge will carry 50 lbs per hinge. 3/8" glass weighs approximately 5 lbs per square foot and 1/2" approximately 6 1/2 lbs. Now those are all standard poundage's and ratings but you should be able to figure it from here.

o

The glass is 3/8", so I think it'll be fine.

Well, I did some more measurements last night and it looks like I gotta make the glass 76" in order to make sure that it doesn't hit the rainfall shower if I open the door on the inside.

I think it's a good idea to be able to open the door both ways since I want to make sure I don't drip water on the outside after a shower.

o

Tougher to get a good of a seal with a door that swings in both directions.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here