Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trinintybay

Which brands have yellowish tint to brushed/satin nickel?

trinintybay
13 years ago

I went to another showroom yesterday to look at brushed satin/nickel. For me, in the different showroom's lighting, it is difficult to tell which brushed/satin nickel faucets have a yellowish tint. I am looking at American Standard and Delta for the most part, due to budget, but have also looked at Hansgrohe, Rohl, Jado and Porcher. Hansgrohe, American Standard and Delta looked yellowish to me.I also looked at the Brilliance Stainless Steel that Delta has and that did not appear yellow to me. I'm beginning to think it depends on the store lighting and it would look differently in our house.

Comments (14)

• plumkrazy
    13 years ago

We're putting in Amer Std "Serin" line... hasn't been installed yet...still sitting in the box, but it doesn't look yellow at all to me.

• sevrm
    13 years ago

I'm wondering if you could have been looking at brushed bronze? In Kohler, it looks just like the brushed nickel, but with a slight yellowish tint. I was considering it at first, but decided that the difference was too slight to warrant the much higher price, and went with brushed nickel instead.

• trinintybay
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Plumkrazy - Thank you for checking in the box. I think it is the lighting at the different showrooms. And perhaps that faucets are displayed next to chrome, pewter etc. I was interested in Dazzle from American Standard for my master bath but was concerned about the tint.
    Suellen - I specifically went to the showroom yesterday and the saleswoman was showing me the different brands in brushed and satin nickel and this particular showroom does not carry Kohler. But I have never heard of brushed bronze so now I will be aware of it if I look at Kohler.

• jimnyo
    13 years ago

no, you're not crazy. i found hansgrohe and american standard brushed nickel looked yellowish next to delta. but that's because delta didn't have a brushed nickel finish, they had a stainless steel finish. when i compared other stainless steel finishes to delta's, they matched better.

• cfire
    13 years ago

I completely agree with therenee. Our Moen fixtures appear darker...more yellow-brownish (sounds worse than it is) when placed next to other brushed nickel brands. But, since there aren't any other brushed nickel accessories near the fixtures in our bathroom, it isn't noticeable.

• jimnyo
    12 years ago

has anyone compared brushed nickel to satin nickel? we have a hansgrohe brushed nickel shower trim and are only able to find a grohe satin nickel (or american standard satin nickel) shower head and handheld that we like. the difference between brushed nickel and stainless was enough to bother me b/c the fixtures are all so close. do you know the difference between brushed and satin?

• Olychick
    12 years ago

When I asked several sources during my remodel, I was told they are just different names that different manufacturers use for the same finish. I couldn't ever find a brushed nickel and satin nickel in the same line of a manufacturer, they all were either brushed or satin- so assumed that what I'd been told was true. Different nickels seemed to have more yellow or blue hues depending on the manufacturer. I mixed Hansgrohe, Grohe and some off brand (tub faucet for toe tester) brushed/satin nickel in my shower and honestly, you would never know the difference, once they are installed and you realize no one is inspecting for differences (even I quit inspecting after it all came together).

• jimnyo
    12 years ago

thanks olychick. that helps alot b/c i'm hoping to mix the hansgrohe and grohe brushed and satin nickels. however, the grohe does offer a satin nickel and brushed nickel in the showerheads i'm using (the 28 373 and 28 7085), so that's why i was asking. i'll probably have to get a different brand shower arm too b/c i'm trying to cut corners where i can.

• Olychick
    12 years ago

I swear I didn't realize that when I ordered my Grohe stuff! Here is an informative and very funny thread I just found.

Here is a link that might be useful: brushed or satin nickel

• linnybinny
    12 years ago

I know this is an old post, but I wanted to add for perhaps some future reader that the Kraus brushed nickel is also slightly yellowish, as in "warmer" looking. It makes the silver tones actually look nicer with warmer colors, like the golds in the granites and brown paints, etc.

• Pamela Edukonis
    8 years ago

First, I'll say if someone can find "Brushed Nickel" and "Satin Nickel" in the same brand, it would be me. I've fallen IN LOVE with American Standard "Portsmouth" line. And noticed our bathroom remodel cost climbing up up up. So I decided to forgo the high end shower head and go with a less expensive one since all the hardware that's under the wall will be the good stuff. Then in a years time (or whenever the bottom line head craps out) we'll be lined up to replace with the more expensive stuff. And what do I realize in the "online check-out?!" It's BRUSHED NICKEL!! Ugh!! Darn you American Standard!! Now, not sure what I'll do. Probably bite the bullet and buy the good stuff next paycheck.

Second, I read the thread mentioned above: brushed or satin nickel and was falling asleep in the beginning. But about half way in I started cracking up!! Too funny. Still haven't got my question answered though *Sigh*.

• Renee
    4 years ago

The Brizo line of faucets have a polished nickel (shiny). The Brizo line is definitely more yellow/gold than other polished nickels so be careful in case you are matching that finish to lighting fixtures, air buttons, flanges, etc. Best flange and air button is by Mountain (not InSinkerator). Better, prettier.

• PRO
    APArchitects, LLC
    4 years ago

Put Moen fixtures and accessories in bathroom with pure white and cool grey ceramic tile; they look unacceptably too "yellow" and will be replacing with chrome.