Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
X-Post (lighting and bathrooms)

Posted by sjhockeyfan (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 30, 13 at 12:33

We have a fairly small bathroom (about 8'6" long x 7' wide, with a low ceiling), and need some help. I've attached a sketch. I left one thing off the sketch by mistake - on the back wall between the tub and the closet, there is wiring for a wall light.
So, there is wiring for the wall light on the back wall, a light over the tub/shower, a light behind the toilet, and it is wired for lights on either side of the mirror that will go over the vanity. I've always read that side lighting over the vanity is best.

Looking at sconces for the sides of the vanity mirror, we see incandescent, Xenon, halogen and LED. Which is the best light source? Will incandescent continue to be available or should we avoid? If the others, how many watts/lumens? (I saw one light that said 20 watt LED bulb - 870 lumens - equivalent to a 60-watt incandescent bulb, which didn't make any sense to me, as I thought 870 lumens was a fair amount, and 60 watts incandescent isn't!)

Thanks for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: X-Post (lighting and bathrooms)

OK, I have figured out that a 60 watt incandescent bulb puts out about 800-1500 lumens, and a 20 watt LED about 1000-2000 lumens, so I guess the equivalency is correct.

That said, how many lumens should I be looking for for each side of the vanity mirror, and what kind of bulbs?

o
RE: X-Post (lighting and bathrooms)

that depends on what type of light you like. We have really tended away from "soft white" light recently---it reads very very yellow to us. We have been using more of a "bright white" light. Which for us means some of the 3000K LEDs--but not all--some look too yellow and some look to blue....we have also used GE reveals for a whiter light. In our recent master bath redo--it's a dark room, shaded backyard--very little natural light. I put in 2 recessed lights with 50W halogen floods (whiter light than incandescents) we well as a 150W (3 50W) halogen fixture over the vanity, and the shower has a light as well. it's an 8x8 bathroom.

Contractor felt the overhead lighting was overkill, I said I'd rather have the light and not use it than need it and not have it. so, we have it, we need it and we use it!!

I am not sure it helps, but we went with whiter light rather than yellow light.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here