Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Reglazed bathroom questions!

Posted by neatdesign (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 26, 13 at 12:31

Hi everybody,

I'm in the process of buying my first house. It has one full bathroom which the sellers reglazed -- the tub as well as all the wall tiles. It looks great, but I've never had a reglazed bathroom before.

I know that you have to be careful so as not to harm the finish, so no abrasive cleaners or brushes, and no suction cup bathmats, etc. I'm okay with that, but I have two questions:

1) I'm fairly certain that when the tub was reglazed, it wasn't treated to make the bottom skid-proof. This of course makes me worry about slipping and falling. If I can't use a suction bathmat, what do I use instead? The only thing that comes to mind is a cotton bathmat, but I'm not sure that would be much safer, to be honest.

2) I currently hold my shampoo, etc in a plastic bath caddy that sticks to the tile wall, similar to this one. Is THIS okay to stick on the reglazed tile wall?

I know this sounds like a dumb question, but when I was trying to find out about reglazed bathroom care, I found a site (by a company that does reglazing) that had a photo with this kind of caddy stuck to the tile wall -- on the same page where they were saying not to use suction cup bathmats! So I don't know what to believe.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and (hopefully) answer my questions!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Reglazed bathroom questions!

Can you ask the sellers who they hired? The company would be able to answer your questions.

I had my tub refinished about a year ago and it has held up great. I do have a non skid surface on the bottom that seems to work well. Are you sure you don't have this type of surface?

I have used a variety of bathroom cleaners on it with microfiber cloths and scrub brushes and there are no issues.

o
RE: Reglazed bathroom questions!

Hi neatdesign,

Sorry I did not see your question sooner....

I bought a distressed property 5 years ago, and had the tub and old tile surround reglazed. I thought it was very slippery, too, and ended up buying a peel-and-stick permanent bath mat that has worked perfectly! (I searched my email and unfortunately could not find the order info).
It gives really good traction, but is not too rough to sit on.
If you do a search for 'permanent bathtub mat' you'll find several.

It has not peeled up, and cleans beautifully with Dawn/vinegar.

Good Luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here