Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moremoremore_gw

CHEAPEST bathroom makeover! I do ok? Pix!

moremoremore
15 years ago

So I needed something CHEAP and quick bc of a family visit...we moved in back in April...thank god the floors were ok....I painted the cabinets, took off the rose wallpaper and painted, changed the hardware and hinges....put a frame around the old outdated mirror...and just got some new accessories! I hope you guys like it!

I HAVEN"T CLEANED OR STRAIGHTENED AFTER THE VISIT YET! SORRY YOU MAY SEE THE DIRT!!! :0 LAZ-Y!!!

GROSS (have the same cabs in our master..they are next!)

Comments (23)

• moremoremore
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ugh...I can see the dust on the table LOL...not even centered! The table was $15 from Target!!! and I'mm OBSESSED with that shower curtain from BB&Beyond....it sparkles like diamonds!

• astridh
    15 years ago

Wow, that looks great. What an improvement. Just goes to show that you don't always have a spend a million bucks to make a big difference. Congratulations.

• rmiriam
    15 years ago

Looks fantastic! What did you paint the vanity with? It almost looks like it was stained darker rather than painted, which I love :)

• moremoremore
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OMG. I just went in there and took a closer look...I HOPE you can't see all the hair and dust in there...OMG...Can I delete it? LOL...

thanks guys...it was a lot of work, but pretty cheap...

Rm...it's Ben Moore Satin Impervo Black Bean Soup...best paint ever...but a be-autch to work with...not touch ups...but looks like a stain imo...

• mahatmacat1
    15 years ago

That's just brilliant.

I *love* those knobs -- where did you get them? I want to use them in my powder room makeover. I keep toying with taking out those exact cabinets in our powder room or painting over them, and you make a *strong* case for painting. What exactly did you do to paint them? Did you prime and if so with what?

Please share wall paint name, knob name, and towel-rack name as well.

You did a fabulous job :)

• jomama517
    15 years ago

Great job - Amazing transformation!

• caroline94535
    15 years ago

Absolutly beautiful!

I love your "new" bathroom!

• moremoremore
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks so much guys! it was actually fun and frustrating at the same time!

Fly...you managed to pick out the two most expensive things in the room lol....

I saw the knobs in the best bathroom Candace Olson did and found them at Home Depot Expo! They are By Atlas Home and called Optomism...they come in nickel as well as chrome by special order..they were about $13 each but I too had to have them!

The towel bar above the toilet is a cheapie from Home Depot, but the ones by the sink are by Kholer...I forget the name but will try to look...they were a splurge at about $90 each I think?

The walls. Oh the walls. The lighting made even the darkest gray/tan look white...so some of the walls are Ben Moore "Silver Satin" (super light off white gray that looked like my wall primer LOL)....and the wall behind the toilet and opposite the vanity is the darkest one on the card called "Cotswold" I think...it was darkened up by 50% too since the natural and artificial lighting in there makes everything look a lot lighter....I think they are my favorite Ben Moore colors ever....I also used the Aura Ben Moore paint in matte...I love matte and found that this paint was a DREAM to work with...the touch ups are fab...but a gallon was almost $60 gasp....but if you want matte in a bathroom or hallway, it's the way to go imo....

The cabinets are Ben Moore Satin Impervo in "Black Bean Soup"...you have to watch your lighting...I was going to do my stair railing in it and it looks purple in that light...here it's a nice rich brown/black...but not black....I always lightly sand and prime with a roller..then I use a cheap sponge brush to get the corners and a roller...I hate brush strokes so I feel the roller is always the way to go....Satin Impervo is a b*tch to work with....but it's durable...you can't do ANY touch ups without it showing....and if you let some dry and paint a little more, you'll see it...so you just have to do a whole side or area at a time..but I love the sheen and richness!

• moremoremore
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ok, sorry, I used regular ol Kils (Kilz?) primer..it did help the paint to adhere...I say paint if you won't be there for 10 years...I mean I'm sure it's not as durable as a new vanity, but for me, replacing wasn't an option..

• cat_mom
    15 years ago

Awesome job!!! I am so jealous that none of our bathrooms had good enough "bones" to do less involved, aka cheaper makeovers!

• moremoremore
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks catmom....(by the way, one of my fur babies is sitting next to me vibrating as I type)..I got really lucky with the hex floor and off white tiles...in the master though I have CARPET lol....

• alberta_rose
    15 years ago

Oh. Wow. That is awesome!

• mahatmacat1
    15 years ago

Thanks for the info, moreetc...I had forgotten about Atlas Homewares and I'm so glad you reminded me. Love that site in general and I see they've added a lot since I last visited.

Also great info on the Aura Matte. I'm looking to paint a significant hall wall (the main hall, actually) and I really don't want to have to go to an eggshell, so I'm *very* glad to know about Aura Matte. I just used Aura Exterior Semi-Gloss on our front door and *loved* it. Had the same issue you did with the Satin Impervo, actually -- I went back about 30 seconds too late, evidently, to get out a hair that had landed in it and I tried to roll it out LOL...talk about cascade of consequences...after a second coat it's *somewhat* less noticeable, enough for me right now, but it's still there if you know to look for it. The rest of the door, though, looks *fabulous*. Aura makes me look (except for that little area) like a good painter, and I always like that :) I'll pay up for that anytime.

I'm also realizing that you have made "cultured marble" look better than it ever had. I'm in for a countertop redo, no matter if I keep the yucky oak cabs or not, in the powder room, since the PO had only laminate in there. Your white counter now looks *cool*, seriously.

Hmmm...maybe there's one like that waiting for me at the Rebuilding Center...?

• PRO
    modern life interiors
    15 years ago

Good job!

• susanjn
    15 years ago

How did my cat get in your bathroom?

I guess he thought it looked great, too. Very nice (and inspiring).

• kelleg69
    15 years ago

I think it looks awesome! Did you replace the countertops? What are they? They look very sleek. Overall, it is wonderful. I like the tile on the floor--a large hex. I know you had it before, but it looks updated to me with all the sprucing up you did. Great work.

• moremoremore
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Susan and Kelleg....No, didn't replace the tops...I have no idea what they are....original to the 1982 house I'm sure...just a plain off white surface...they look a lot better with the other distractions!

As for kitty, that's actually my little princess! :) My neighbor also has a little male cat that looks EXACTLY like her and when I see him, I do a double take (since mine isn't allowed outside).....

• wishihadabluekitchen
    15 years ago

WOW - that transformation is amazing! Congratulations on a great job.

• ps12
    15 years ago

I love your bathroom and want to do the same with mine... Why spend thousands when you can spend hundreds and make it look just as good?

Question... how did you frame your mirror? Did you take the measurements and then go to a framing store?

• moremoremore
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey there ps...Thanks so much!

The mirror surround is just very cheap molding from Home Depot (I think the four pieces came to about $15?)...I painted them to match the vanity so it matches! They are attached with GorillaGlue....I need to re-do two pieces because after this pic was taken, I noticed that they were loose (because the wall behind them isn't flush and there are little shims to make them "sit" on the mirror...anyway, the glue ran ALL down the mirror and can be seen behind the frame...so that has to be redone. Use VERY little glue :)

• bodiCA
    15 years ago

Black Bean Soup, lol, Looks Fabulous. Very nice finish! That is a Beautiful Room! And I want your shower curtain

• arleneb
    15 years ago

You got major bang for your buck!! Absolutely gorgeous job -- you're to be congratulated.

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

Amazing Transformation! I have the same tile in three of my bathrooms but mine needs to be re-grouted after 18 years. My vanity is an ivory laminate of some sorts so I can't paint it and it has no drawers so I would not be able to do the transformation you did. I have the same big mirror but I have no windows in my bathroom so that is all that is about the same. What a beautiful job you did making the bathroom look so wonderful and updated. Thank you for sharing.