Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
numbersjunkie

Quartz product for shower walls?

numbersjunkie
9 years ago

Just wondering if anyone considered doing this and how expensive it would be. I am trying to get a contemporary look and am turned off by the seams visible with large format tiles, I think it would look sleek to use the same material on my shower walls and countertop. I would use tile for the floor, probably to match the rest of the floor but smaller format.

I'm planning a shower that is approx 40 x 65 and want the shower walls to go to the ceiling (8 ft).

Comments (8)

• lucas_tx_gw
    9 years ago

The guy did our kitchen also installs this, real stone that's cut thin and applied to some kind of backer. Don't know how it is in real life but might be a lot easier (and lighter) than something 2 or 3 cm thick

Here is a link that might be useful: ForzaStone

• User
    9 years ago

Sure, you can put quartz on the walls. Not all the way up though as you couldn't stand the panels upright then, and only if you have a $$$ budget to cover the $70+ a square that it will cost. You also need framers that know what they are doing to create a super flat surface as a base to begin.

• pprioroh
    9 years ago

I recently posted a thread about granite shower walls - I think we are looking for the same concept.

One thing I learned from someone in that thread (linked below) was a product called Stoneply which is a thin layer of real stone mounted on an engineered aluminum backplate. Is much lighter than full thickness stone and cost is about $22/sq ft per the manufacturer.

We are strongly looking into it, or alternatives. We love the large slab look for shower/tub surround vs. tile and grout lines.

Here is a link that might be useful: Granite shower surround GW thread

• lucas_tx_gw
    9 years ago

I guess Stoneply is very similar then to the Forzastone, as that's pretty much the same description.

• kudzu9
    9 years ago

numbersjunkie-
    What do you consider too large for a grout line? We recently tiled a 33"x56" shower with 18" square porcelain tiles. It was "rectified" tile, so it was very flat, uniform, and square-edged. We went with grout lines that were slightly more than 1/16". Because it was a slippery surface, we used the 2"x2 size of the same tile on the floor to increase the number of grout lines for safety. The accent tiles have a slightly wider grout line because they had curved edges.

• pprioroh
    9 years ago

Yes very similar, not sure what the exact differences are but forzastone seems to be mostly marble - we are looking for a more polished/granite look. either way I think they both look great as large slabs in a shower.

• numbersjunkie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kudzu, all of the grout lines seem to stand out to me with the large format tiles, even though they are almost always very thin. For some reason I'm actually more attracted to small mosaics where the colors and materials blend well. To me it seems less busy than the larger blocks I see with the large format tiles. Go figure. Btw I cant see your pics on my kindle so maybe yours do not stand out.

The large stone panels are an interesting idea but I don't think I'd really like that look either. Either too institutional or too busy for the granites. I actually have swanstone now so maybe I need a change.