Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mounting mirror to backsplash??

Posted by Alexlvr (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 3, 13 at 12:09

I am planning to mount an unframed mirror above my backsplash. The previous mirror was mounted above the previous tile backsplash using J-mold channel...and held up well for 25 years without any discoloration.

The current stone backsplash above the sinks will have a flat base of support for the mirror. The fixtures are polished nickel. I am being told that J-channels are not necessary and wouldn't look good with the polished nickel...that the mirror can be adhered to wall and can either sit on small polycarbonate pads on the far edges (that wouldn't show)...or a bead of silicone could be applied where mirror meets glass. Can someone enlighten me? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mounting mirror to backsplash??

If it is going to sit directly on top of the backsplash then J-channel would not be necessary. They will just need to make certain it is supported while the mastic (glue) sets on the wall. Also do NOT let them use silicone at the joint as silicone is not compatible with the slivering on the back of the mirror and will destroy it.

o

**dam duplicate posts**

This post was edited by millworkman on Fri, Oct 4, 13 at 11:45

o

Thanks Millworkman :-)

I also have a separate makeup vanity that will be getting a new stone top. Its mirror is in a brass J channel which obviously won't go with the polished nickel new fixtures and will be removed. Given no backsplash there....do you advise just gluing to wall and resting edge on the stone surface?Is there anything that is used to rest it on, since adhesive/silicone beading at the juncture isn't advised?
Just wondering...

o

Millworkman..not sure what you mean by duplicate posts?

o

Get a brushed nickel J-channel. For some reason the previous post I made showed up twice, hence a "dam duplicate post" that I edited out.

o

Thanks for the suggestion. I haven't seen the brushed nickel J-channel
(assuming you have :-)
That would probably look better than the only other alternative..chrome. The lights above the mirror will be polished nickel. Wondering...do you suggest clips on the top of that mirror?..The old mirror had the clear clips...able to remove the mirror from the wall entirely. Hardly noticeable. I notice that a lot of newer homes just glue the mirror to the drywall.

o

Glue with the J-channel should be all that is needed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here