Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
violetwest

Simplest upgrade?

violetwest
9 years ago

What do you experts think is the simplest upgrade to a standard builder grade bath? (Other than perhaps, paint).

I have a new house with nice, but not very high end fixtures. Cheapo bath light above a large single mirror, double sink and vanity. That's the area which would lend itself most to change -- don't think I can do anything much for the tub, shower, or WC.

Oh! and I did replace the crappy plastic toilet seat.

Comments (30)

• jewelisfabulous
    9 years ago

For me, the counter top material is one of the most dramatic upgrades that can be done. So, if your counter is laminate, replacing it with quartz or granite would elevate the rest of the room.

• violetwest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

oh, good suggestion. Yes, it's laminate. Will have to look into cost.

When replacing a counter, you can keep the same sinks and cabinets?

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Can you post a picture of your bathroom?

• violetwest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I can later today. It's pretty boring. Cosmetic stuff I can do, but I'd like to upgrade the fixtures as I go along and money permits.

I was thinking about replacing the light fixture, and possibly the mirror.

• jewelisfabulous
    9 years ago

Yes, you should be able to keep your same sinks and cabinets when doing the counter upgrade.

• violetwest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

If you wanted pics to answer this question well here they are

This post was edited by Violet.West on Sat, Nov 8, 14 at 16:47

• violetwest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Probably one of the simplest is to replace the $12 light fixture builder put in

• violetwest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

One more- without the mouthwash and showing the extra sink I don't use

• kats737
    9 years ago

I actually feel like your countertop is fine. But the sinks and faucets are a little underwhelming. Plus that storage thingy - could you merge it with the one on the end of the counter?

Maybe put a frame around the mirror, and definitely switching the light fixture would be good.

• User
    9 years ago

There's a company called Mirror Mates where you can order a frame that you apply to the face of the mirror.

I'd also get hardware for the vanity and the $40 Moen curved slower rod.

• violetwest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks for the suggestions, guys, and I'll look into them. Not ashamed of my clutter!

wish I could replace the mirror.

there's no shower there (it's over the the side out of view)-- that rod's just to hang a decorative curtain.

• emma
    9 years ago

I think it looks nice the way is it except for the storage thing on the vanity and the light. I like good lighting more than style. I would get a 6 globe strip with light pointing down, lower and center it over the vanity. New faucets would make a nice change, but are okay if you are on a budget.

• violetwest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

what about removing the mirror and replacing it with two mirrors? Is that difficult?

the reason that storage thing in the middle is there (besides storage) is to block the overly expansive view of my pasty body from myself! Would much prefer a two mirror arrangement. Okay, frankly I'd prefer one sink.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

It would be hard to balance two mirrors in your space because the left sink is so close to the wall and the right sink is so close to the edge of the counter. I gather you are not interested in doing what it takes (plumbing and new countertop) o change to a one -sink setup?

• violetwest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh, I see - didn't think of that (forum is so helpful!)

as for converting it to a one sink, I might indeed be interested; would be nice to have that extra space-- is it possible to leave the plumbing in place for the unused sink so it could be converted back easily if I sold the house?

This post was edited by Violet.West on Sun, Nov 9, 14 at 19:07

• deickhoff0
    9 years ago

Oh I wouldn't give up a double sink EVER...that is a deal breaker for some buyers. Buyers want to have to do nothing. I would dump the shelves on the counter, change out the light, and IF affordable, I would change the top and bowls. I also like the idea of ordering a frame for the mirror, if possible.

• User
    9 years ago

If you've lived with double sinks in a 60" vanity next to a wall, you'll know it's no great loss to get rid of one sink. It's uncomfortable to use because you're pressed up against the wall, so you have to take a step toward the middle. I also hate having two sink bases and wasting all that storage space. Our GC thought we could close off one side, but we decided to center the sink when we replace the vanity.

• jewelisfabulous
    9 years ago

Having now seen the photo of your bathroom, my advice is to start by framing out your existing mirror in beveled glass and replacing that light fixture. If you still feel the room needs some extra "oomph", consider going with a quartz countertop and updated faucets.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I agree with the others that two sinks in a master bath would be a "given". For resale. I think a plumber could advise you better than we can about leaving the plumbing for a second sink in place while converting to one sink for now.

I'm in the other camp from mayflowers. I'd rather lean against the wall than share a sink!

• jrueter
    9 years ago

Hang a lovely picture on the mirror in place of your storage shelves with a command hook. It will break up the expanse of mirror, but will be completely temporary if you later decide to move the sinks, etc. I would also replace the light fixture. I would probably wait on changing the counter until you can replace the sinks/faucets as well. IMO it is more cost effective to do it all at once, so I save up until I can do a bigger project.

• kats737
    9 years ago

I think the other thing you are trying to balance is schnazzing it up for your daily use, not necessarily what works for model homes. If that is the amount of stuff that is realistically out and about in your bathroom on a daily basis, then it is never going to look like a staged Houzz picture, kwim?

They could leave the plumbing for a second sink, but a buyer probably would rather the second sink just be there. They would think "oh, I have to redo this all to get a second sink" not "great, well at least the plumbing is still there".

• violetwest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

(lafs) no, it's never going to look like a Houzz picture. I'm not a big putter-awayer. What's the point if you're just going to take it all out again the next day?

It's only for me, and I never intend to sell if I can possibly manage it! Just want to improve it above a level of Basic Builder and make me smile.

• ardcp
    9 years ago

we redid our master bath and did away with that sheet mirror. the handyman put painters tape in x s on the mirror and gently pulled it off as it's glued to the wall. there was very little drywall damage. we got a framed mirror at hd to go with the new smaller vanity ( 60" vanity was too big for the room) and granite top combo bought at lowes.

• monicakm_gw
    9 years ago

A new light fixture, framed mirror, longer, sleeker faucets and if you can swing it, sinks would do wonders! You didn't say what kind of budget you have. But as long as the counter is cluttered and stuff stored in the extra sink (that I'd remove), it's never going to dazzle, imo (but I'm an anti-clutter neat freak). You wouldn't believe how much larger your space will look with both of those storage shelves/racks gone. If I could only do two things that didn't require rebuilding anything, it would be faucets and light fixture.

This post was edited by monicakm on Tue, Nov 11, 14 at 20:20

• lam702
    9 years ago

I'd get a nicer light fixture and remove the metal shelf from the counter, it does give a bit of a cluttered look. The light is too small for that big mirror I think. I'd keep the 2 sinks, they are good to have and I think for resale would be a plus.

• Nancy in Mich
    9 years ago

Do you have a basement? I would take off that nice new counter, sinks, and faucets all in one piece and put it somewhere safe for a resale if a buyer objects to your new set-up and wants two sinks back.

Then for you, start with the new top of your choice. Get a comfortable large sink with some style, or a nice big undermount - easy to wipe the counter clean..

On the left end of the vanity that you do not use. you can place tall narrow cabinet. If you are a coffee drinker and want the luxury of a cup right in the bedroom, you can put a little "garage" at the bottom and put an electric outlet inside. Or if you have arthritis and would like a wax bath for your hands, or have any other small appliances that need a place to charge out of sight, a kitchen-style garage can be helpful in a bathroom. You can use little doors instead of the slatted roll-top desk style that is dated.

The cabinet can hold the things on your open wire shelves. You could put three curved open wood shelves on the right side of the new cabinet so that you could set your "daily use" things there within reach. The shelves on the side of the cabinet will keep the cabinet from looking so square and like it just landed there.

• nicole__
    9 years ago

You could put a little cabinet on top of the counter....mirror height...that matches the esresso cabinets you have. That would give you more storage and break up the mirror into 2 sections....and add a little style to your clutter....

You might be able to find something on CL and stain it yourself....?

{{!gwi}}

• lookintomyeyes83
    9 years ago

I'd say the 'bones' of the space is quite nice.

I'd upgrade:
    - lights to a prettier fixture
    - remove the giant metal wire stand of 'stuff'
    - purchase a pretty mirror that's less utilitarian and more decorative.
    - change out the taps for something nicer.

I'd be with you on removing the second sink, but DH and I share just fine. (He knows he has to clean up immediately after shaving ;P )

and be proud of your pasty body, darnnit!
    If you do want to upgrade the countertop (which I don't think is necessary), consider what your going to spill on it, and test it. Peroxide, hair dye, bleach, etc.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Frame out the mirror or use mosaic tile, new light fixture, maybe shelves, different paint job
    New faucets, cabinet hardware, towel holder, etc.

Is the mirror glued down or just attached with clips? If it's glued, removing it may remove the wall with it.

Or you attach mirrors to the mirror, with or without a little slef in between:

Or you could use command hooks to attach two mirrors onto the mirror and basket with towels in between

• emma
    9 years ago

I prefer one sink and have been thinking of changing mine to one. That way it would be in the middle of the vanity with no splashing on the walls and I could have two sets of drawers for storage.