Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
llcp93

Ceiling track shower curtain

llcp93
9 years ago

Has anyone had success/failures with a ceiling mounted track shower curtain system?
Here is my inspriation, though I think I would like it curved a bit inside the tub. I also want it ORB or could paint it to coordinate. I had not planned to hide it as this photo shows.

Transitional Bathroom by San Francisco Architects & Building Designers Kathleen Bost Architecture + Design
This is more formal, as our tile is 4x8 Torreon Travertine, ORB fixtures, and dark wood cabinets, I do like the look of the curtain hung from chains.It seems like it would be easy to slide. We have had the tension rods, which pull down and scrape up with the curtain rings and we have had the wall mounted oval ones that drill into the tile, that sag and have needed constant readjusting. After some use, they also start looking worn,
This bathroom is about to undergo a cosmetic remodel. Our eldest son has gong to college and his brother, who shares the bath, graduates in 2016. It needs to function while they are here but be "pretty" when it is a guest bath eventually. I plan to have the curtain made. Yea, I love the pendant too but it is way too much for a boys bath.
TIA
laura

Comments (17)

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

I have one of these in one bathroom (surface mounted) and I am doing recessed track in the other two bathrooms which will take some ceiling prep. I looked high and low for a ceiling mount shower track vs. curtain track, and I've never seen anything but white or aluminum and straight. A curve recessed track would probably need to be a curtain track and the bend might be custom.

I like the one I have a lot. The dropped chain carriers as shown above are relatively expensive (compared to rings) but I think you need some space at the top for air circulation.

• llcp93
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the reply. I did find one online, and it was white or brushed aluminum. It looks like drapery hooks. I'm not married to chains but would have to give it thought, as to what to use. I would not want my curtain mounted this high. Here are two links.

I would paint the chains and track with metal paint.

http://www.curtain-tracks.com/hardware/accessories/drops-connectors/recmar-7187-beaded-chain-connector-7-inches.html
    Is yours just a curtain track?

http://www.ceilingshowerrod.com/new/products.php?product=curved-shower-rod

• violetwest
    9 years ago

aren't the dropped chains to add extra length? Otherwise, you'd have to have a custom shower curtain, right?

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

That's exactly the rod I have but straight. I thought you wanted a fully bowed curve like a typical wall mounted curved rod. I am happy with this track.

• llcp93
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, Violet, the chains are for length (and ventilation I imagine). If you ceiling mounted a curtain, it would have to be custom made or you could buy drapery panels, I suppose that were of a longer length, but wouldn't be wide enough.

With the chains, you could use a standard one and use curtain hooks and probably not see the ring holes unless they were grommets, which wouldn't look right, I think.

Palimpsest, does your curtain hand by chains or something else or does it hang from the ceiling?

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

I had one - L-shaped hospital track with chains and a normal curtain.

Worked fine

• llcp93
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Lazygardens
    This option is sounding like it is just what we need

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

In the current bathroom the ceiling is 7' over the tub. The standard carriers that come with the rod have maybe 2" of chain which is plenty.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

There's also this shower curtain that TRAX sells with a micro mesh panel. It should provide enough light and ventilation without using the chains.

[Traditional Bathroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-bathroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_712~s_2107) by El Dorado Hills Design-Build Firms TRAX Ceiling Shower Rods

Here's another resource that sells Kirsch shower tracks and accessories. The website is clunky but I think they custom bend the track. I am just starting to explore this idea so I haven't compared prices, but they appear identical to TRAX.

Here is a link that might be useful: Curtainfair

• alex9179
    9 years ago

Zookeeper, the site you linked to is the company I'm probably using for my curtain track when we remodel. They do custom, which is what we'll need.

Would the D shape be what you're looking to use? Or maybe the neoangle?

I haven't seen any other finish but white and aluminum, either. I'd be concerned about gumming the track up with overspray, but a careful person could accomplish it. Personally, I think aluminum does blend well but the color options can look clinical.
    I'd like to recess mine.

Here is a link that might be useful: Custom ceiling tracks

• jerzeegirl
    9 years ago

I have been thinking of doing the same thing - my only concern has been that I want to be able to remove the carriers without having to take down the whole track. This company has a track that has that feature but doesn't look as sleek as the Kirsch and the mounting brackets are funny. Also, it says it's easily bendable.

Here is a link that might be useful: Curtain Track

This post was edited by jerzeegirl on Sat, Oct 11, 14 at 15:59

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

I think with the Trax you have to take it down to change the carriers even if it's not recessed because of the way the end caps fit.

• jerzeegirl
    9 years ago

I am trying to figure out if the inability to remove the carriers is even an issue. I wouldn't think that the interior of a track would get very dusty but I could be wrong.... I don't use curtains on my windows so I haven't had any experience with tracks, but I do like the way they look in the shower!

• melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
    9 years ago

I was thinking of a set-up like this, too.

Curious -- why would you need to remove the carriers?

• Gracie
    9 years ago

In case you get a dud.

• pblack02
    8 years ago