Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
2nd floor bathroom

Posted by PersonIncharge (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 2, 13 at 11:41

Hello!
We need an extra bathroom upstaris. Don't plan to move from this house for a while. Here's my plan for a 2nd floor extra bath. It will need a 4' extention to the back of the house as its designed. There's nothing to the ground, so it will need support posts etc. going to the ground and permits from the city as well. The entire floor plan for the 2nd floor is on this pic, not to scale. I backed up the proposed bathroom to the existing one, hoping it will make for simpler plumbing. Would love the ability to avoid extending the house. Any other suggestions / solutions are appreciated. I'm just brainstorming right now, I like to have a good idea before I solicit professional help. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 2nd floor bathroom

Do you have actual dimensions for your floor plan? What you are proposing isn't the best plan, either for the dollars spent or the function gained. It will be especially difficult if you are in a cold climate. You wouldn't want to do the bumpout without a corresponding bumpout of the first floor, and cantilevering a bumpout like that will be significantly more costly than just doing a conventional foundation and two story addition.

If we knew the dimensions of the existing bedrooms, halls, and baths, perhaps a few things could be rearranged. And, if we also knew the source of the conflict here about using the existing bathrooms, that would help as well.

Have you considered closing in the open foyer? Then using bedroom 3 for a bath and closet? That would give you better temperature control and sound control in the house, and be a much easier project than a bumpout would be.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here